Data Scientist – KDD Attendees
North York (93006), Canada, North York,Toronto, Ontario,
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data Scientist – KDD Attendees
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist at Capital One, you'll be part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption at a whole new scale, using the latest in distributed computing technologies and operating across billions and billions of customer transactions to unlock the big opportunities that help everyday people save money, time, and agony in their financial lives.
On any given day, you'll be:
- Writing software to clean and investigate large, messy data sets of numerical and textual data
- Integrating with internal and external data sources and APIs to discover interesting trends
- Building machine learning models (Linear and Logistic regression, Gradient Boosting, Random Forest, etc.) from development, validation, through to deployment in production
- Designing rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to customers or company leaders
- Investigating the impact of new technologies on the future of digital banking and the financial world of tomorrow
The Ideal Candidate will be:
- Curious: You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your disruptive idea. You probably know Python, Scala, or R and are constantly exploring new open source tools, and hitting up stack overflow on a regular basis.
- A Wrangler: You know how to programmatically extract data from a database and an API, bring it through a transformation or two, and model it into a human-readable form (Matplotlib, d3 visualization, Tableau, etc.).
- Creative: Big, undefined problems and petabytes of data don't frighten you. You're used to working with abstract data, and you love discovering new narratives in unmined territories.
- Proactive: You will want to share your knowledge with your peers and contribute back to inner/open source projects which you might consume.
- Your choice of hardware - latest MacBook Pro or HP EliteBook and all the monitors you want!
- Travel to a conference of your choice annually (senior+) - PyCon, PyData, AWS re:Invent, KDD, etc.
- $5000/yr education budget
- Flexible work hours, dress code and environment
Twenty-five years after Capital One was started it's still led by its founder. Be ready to join a community of the smartest people you've ever met, who see the customer first, and want to use their data skills to make a difference.
- Bachelor's Degree in a quantitative field
- At least 1 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis (Python, R, or Scala)
- At least 1 year of experience with version control system like Git and GitHub.
- At least 1 year of experience with machine learning or predictive modeling (scikit-learn, H2O, xgboost, or TensorFlow)
- At least 1 year of experience with relational databases (Postgres, Redshift, MySQL) and programming in SQL
- Master's Degree or PhD
- Experience working with AWS (EC2, S3, Lambda, RDS, etc.)
- Experience working with advanced Git Workflows (Pull Requests, Code Reviews, Issues, and Branching)
- Experience writing unit tests and integrating with CICD tools (Jenkins, CircleCI, etc.)
- At least 3 years' experience in Python or R
- At least 3 years' experience with machine learning / predictive modeling (scikit-learn, H2O, xgboost, TensorFlow, etc.)
- At least 3 years' experience with SQL
Capital One Canada is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. We consider all qualified applicants and will meet the needs of those requiring reasonable accommodations.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top