Data Science Manager
77 West Wacker Dr (35012), United States of America, Chicago, Illinois
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data Science Manager
At Capital One, data is at the center of everything we do. When we launched as a startup we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 200 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As part of our Enterprise Customer team, you will join the journey to build a centralized customer platform which will service all our channels and also provide operational and analytical capabilities. We envision, create, deploy, and maintain critical customer applications by streamlining data across systems, apply state of the art machine learning, micro-service architecture, and beautiful visualizations in the cloud. We are highly technical with strong backgrounds in what we do.
As a Data Scientist you will be part of a team that’s driving the implementation of next generation Customer Matching and Search solution, using the latest in distributed computing technologies and operating against millions of customers.
What you’ll do:
- Using analytical solutions (Spark, H20, Druid) develop a probabilistic matching engine to match customers.
- Write software to clean and normalize large data sets to run matching algorithms.
- Integrate with external data sources and API to validate improving matching algorithms.
- Creating machine learning models from development through testing and validation to our 100+ million customers in production.
- Designing rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to customers or company leaders.
- Investigating the impact of new technologies on the future of mobile banking and the financial world of tomorrow.
- Curious. You ask why, you explore, you’re not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. You probably have a diploma and an impressive GPA, or you dropped out of college, taught yourself and routinely win Kaggle competitions.
- Wrangler. You know how to move data around, from a database or an API, through a transformation or two, a model and into human-readable form. You probably know Python, Java, R, or Scala.
- Do-er. You have a bias toward action, you try things, and sometimes you fail. Expect to tell us what you’ve shipped and what’s flopped.
- Fearless. Big, undefined problems and petabytes don’t frighten you. You can work at a tiny crack until you’ve broken open the whole nut.
- You are a cloud ninja
- Bachelor’s Degree or military experience
- At least 2 years’ experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
- At least 2 years’ experience with machine learning
- At least 2 years’ experience with relational databases
- 3+ years’ experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis.
- 3+ years’ experience with machine learning.
- 3+ years’ experience with relational databases.
- 3+ years’ experience with SQL.
- Domain experience in Customer Applications
- You can show off your Github or Stack Overflow contributions
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Director, Digital Product Marketing
Mazen is transforming the financial industry, one groundbreaking product at a time. By applying imaginative marketing techniques, Mazen shines the spotlight on Capital One’s most impactful financial technologies.
Back to top