- McLean, VA
West Creek 8 (12080), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
At Capital One, we dare to dream, disrupt and deliver a better way. Our goal is simple - bring ingenuity, simplicity and humanity to an industry ripe for change. Capital One's Enterprise Supplier Management (ESM) department is crafting the next generation of contract practices and values to allow our philosophy to transcend into our each of our products and services. If you're a solid team player, enjoy negotiating deals and collaborating on a cross-functional team, ESM may be perfect for you.
As a Contracts Manager, you will draft and negotiate third-party complex contracts. You will work closely with internal business resources and procurement stakeholders to ensure all third-party agreements meet Capital One's legal and third-party management policies. You will partner with world-class professionals to bring procurement resources, tools, methodologies and judgment to business units. And it will happen in a collaborative environment that values insight, creative thinking, group problem solving and rewards intellectual curiosity and a growth-minded spirit. To be successful in this role, you must possess exceptional written and oral communication skills coupled with an ability to manage a high volume workload in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Key responsibilities of the Contracts Manager role include:
- Assessment and Planning: Assessing transactions and creating deal strategies. You will work hand in hand with business associates and internal stakeholders to understand the need, determine the risks, and craft a right-sized approach in light of risk and nature of the deal.
- Drafting: Drafting and/or redlining contracts in accordance with Capital One's contracting standards. Whether redlining supplier paper or starting from Capital One agreement, you will ensure the right terms are in place for each contract given business needs and risk. Creativity in drafting is often required.
- Negotiation: Effectively negotiating to produce contracts within Capital One Policies and business objectives. You will be responsible for planning and executing a negotiation strategy in a timely manner while remaining flexible to changing circumstances and needs. Problem-solving and critical thinking skills are a must.
- Communication: Confidently communicating with fellow associates, leadership, and third parties. You will regularly communicate with internal stakeholders including the line of business, legal, compliance and data security groups. You will fight the good fight against legalese and contract jargon to clearly explain risks in various scenarios, with an ability to determine what risks are truly material in each transaction.
- Transaction Management: Managing transactions independently, efficiently and driving to completion in a timely manner. As the central point of contact for each contract, you will need to apply exceptional organization skills and influence to ensure deals are negotiated and executed in accordance with business and ESM timelines.
- Collaboration: Working closely with the larger Enterprise Supplier Management team, and stakeholders as appropriate
- Strategic Advice: Serving as a subject matter expert on Capital One's Contract and Third Party Management Policies & Procedures. You will explain what we do and why we do it to minimize risk while building a better way.
- Some travel will be required.
• Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
• At least 4 years of experience drafting or negotiating contracts
• Juris Doctorate
• Procurement, Legal or Supply Chain experience
• CPM or CPCM
• 7 years of experience in Leading sourcing teams
• 7 years of experience in Analyzing proposal cost/pricing data
• 7 years of experience in Creating and executing sourcing strategies
• 7 years of experience in Legal, negotiation or contracts
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top