Compliance Privacy Director
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Compliance Privacy Director
Summary: The Compliance Privacy Director performs a key risk management role to ensure business lines and corporate initiatives comply with applicable federal and state Privacy laws and regulations. The Compliance Privacy Director will apply risk, process management, and analytical skills to drive actions in support of privacy risk objectives for the Compliance department and impacted business lines. While working within and supporting an overall compliance risk management framework, the Compliance Privacy Director also provides strategic support and counsel to the Chief Privacy Officer. The Compliance Privacy Director is responsible for leading and developing a team of Privacy Advisors, delivering quality results, and providing sound compliance advice to business lines as a subject matter expert. A successful Compliance Privacy Director is a highly motivated, forward thinking self-starter who can work autonomously, is quick to adapt, technologically adept, a problem solver, and an adaptive learner. The Compliance Privacy Director will lead a team of Privacy Advisors and be held accountable for the responsibilities outlined below.
- Partner with the Privacy team's leadership to influence the team's strategic direction;
- Ensure the Privacy Advisory team meets its obligations, expectations, and assigned deliverables under Capital One's compliance management program;
- Identify trends in data and advise on identified current and emerging risks;
- Maintain subject matter expertise of applicable privacy laws and regulations such as GLBA, TCPA, and CAN-SPAM, as well as new laws currently passed by or pending across the country, including the California Consumer Privacy Act;
- See around corners and serve as a "dot connecter" within the Privacy team and across impacted business lines
- Provide effective challenge and guidance on privacy risks and support business lines through various interactions and forum engagements;
- Advise business lines on application of privacy requirements, development of controls and monitoring, remediation/corrective action of compliance breakdowns, and changes in law or regulation;
- Support and as necessary participate in evaluation of business line initiatives and processes from a privacy risk perspective;
- Assist business lines in developing and maintaining the Compliance Management Program (i.e. how to monitor, report, and train);
- Actively participate on complex projects by providing guidance, advice, and effective challenge;
- Review privacy-related complaints generated from business lines and provide guidance on remediation; escalate and facilitate with subject matter experts, when necessary;
- Evaluate Internal Audit, Regulatory Exam, and self-identified privacy issues and events for compliance impacts;
- Assist in capturing, maintaining, and analyzing compliance data, interpreting it to ensure consistency and adequate Compliance Risk Management; and
- Participate in reporting activities used by Senior Leadership.
- Travel to various Capital One locations as necessary
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Clear results orientation and focus on achieving both short and long term goals;
- A proven track record of supporting and working across business lines and functions and with a senior management team;
- Ability to navigate "white space" or ambiguous situations to drive and execute an agenda in a fluid environment;
- Solid people leadership and teamwork skills; ability to build and leverage the capabilities of a high-performing team;
- Highly developed interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills (written and oral) coupled with strategic influencing skills and the ability to drive agreement through intellect, interpersonal, and negotiation skills;
- Strong judgment, influencing skills, integrity, and discretion in handling highly sensitive issues;
- Ability to effectively challenge first line of defense risk taking, risk assessments, and risk mitigation efforts;
- Successful track record of thriving in both a highly regulated industry and a fast paced, entrepreneurial, and dynamic environment;
- Strong project management, process management, and organizational skills;
- A collaborative, energetic, solution-oriented, and innovative leadership style;
- Ability to balance operating independently with appropriate escalation and interaction with senior leadership;
- Willingness to work as a team player and interact with associates across functions, departments, and job levels, both inside and outside the Compliance Department; and
- Understanding of key regulatory and audit requirements and three lines of defense risk management framework.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of privacy, compliance risk management, risk management, legal, or audit experience
- At least 3 years of experience in people management
- JD, MBA, or other graduate degree
- At least 7 years of privacy, compliance risk management, risk management, legal, or audit experience at a financial institution
- At least 5 years of experience in strategic consulting and strategic initiative management
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Risk Professional (CRP) or Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager (CRCM)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top