Commercial Underwriting Associate
5444 Westheimer (31761), United States of America, Houston, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Commercial Underwriting Associate
If you want to be part of a fast-paced, client-centric and strategically growing business, Capital One Commercial Banking wants you to join our talented group! Capital One is committed to excellence in the solutions we offer, the industries we serve, and the way we work with clients. Today, Capital One Commercial Banking group services a $65 billion loan portfolio, serving more than 6,100 clients. We offer a range of solutions including Commercial Lending, Rate and Currency Solutions, Depository Services, Treasury Management, Capital Markets, Private Banking and Wealth Management, and Corporate Cards. On the Commercial Banking team, you'll find energized, positive people rolling up their sleeves to deliver value-added solutions, products and services for our clients. As a key member of the team, you will be at the forefront of competing for new clients, facilitating the structuring and delivery of unique credit solutions, and managing client debt portfolios to further deepen the Bank's relationships and strengthen its brand. For more information on Capital One's Commercial Bank, please visit http://www.capitalonecommercial.com.
Key Activities Include:
- Manages the Bank's credit exposure to an assigned portfolio of Commercial Clients.
- Analyzes and monitors assigned portfolio for changes in risk profile.
- Inputs financial statements into the Bank's online spreading system. Determines the proper risk rating for all facilities within an assigned loan portfolio and completes the required paperwork for any rating changes.
- Tests Borrowers' compliance with financial covenants. Monitors Borrowers' performance to expectations. Takes action to communicate deteriorating situations, and to remediate such risks to protect the Bank.
- Becomes proficient in generating projection models and Enterprise Valuations, and in calculating and monitoring collateral values including borrowing bases.
- Performs annual reviews of clients, prepares credit actions to extend new or modify existing loans.
- Extensively collaborates with Commercial Banking team, including Relationship Managers, Credit Risk Officers, Line of Business Management and support staff, to deliver, manage and maintain credit with prospects and clients.
- Evaluates the credit worthiness of new loan applicants by determining their ability to pay.
- Understands all aspects of an applicant's business including its industry, products, competitive position and management.
- Thoroughly analyzes financial statements, forecasts, bank statements, and credit card processing statements.
- Develops terms and conditions that minimize default risk and maximize the bank's profitability.
- Succinctly discusses financial analysis, risks and mitigants, structuring recommendations and decision justification, in a written credit memorandum.
- Completes credit packages and decisions credit requests within prescribed timeframes to meet business partner and customer expectations.
- Reviews credit agreements for consistency with approved terms; interacts with Bank counsel and participates in the negotiation of credit documentation.
- Understands and employs all policies and procedures of the Bank and the Line of Business.
- Performs and verifies compliance with loan policy, AML, KYC and all other applicable regulatory requirements
- Remains up-to-date on all bank compliance regulatory policies and procedures and on all pending and proposed regulatory changes affecting bank compliance.
- Assists in developing new strategies to improve customer experience and manage risk in processes related to fraud and severity management.
- A Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
- At least 2 years of Commercial underwriting experience or 1 years of Business Banking Underwriting experience or 1 year of Accounting Experience
- A Master's in Business Administration or a Master's in Accounting
- Formal Credit Training
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top