Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
Nottingham Trent House (95002), United Kingdom, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
As a cloud engineer, you will work as part of the Tech Delivery organisation supporting the development and engineering of a growing AWS cloud footprint within Capital One. The role offers scope to work on new cloud engineering standards and patterns, alongside building and supporting a growing suite of tools and products.
As a contributor to a focused infrastructure delivery team, you will ensure the 'infrastructure as code' approach, looking to automate and drive efficient working practices as the growth of the Cloud platform continues. You will have a strong understanding of Linux admin, and preferably some Windows admin, to support AWS AMI lifecycle, ongoing AWS AMI management as well as the management and development of our Chef configuration tooling. You will be responsible for complex problem resolution, frequently working with geographically dispersed teams to identify root cause and resolve issues. You will work alongside security specialists, to ensure both a secure and compliant environment whilst supporting the set-up and on-boarding of new services.
This role requires a breadth and depth of technological understanding, to ensure progress in both working practices and ongoing support. We are looking for those with a passion to work in cutting edge distributed computing environments who have a strong understanding of Cloud, PaaS, SaaS and IaaS.
- Previous experience as a Linux or Windows system administrator building & supporting enterprise computing platforms and systems (or equivalent)
- Solid understanding of Cloud Compute platforms, including machine image creation and management
- Solid understanding of High Availability strategies, preferably with Cloud in mind
- Familiarity with the concept of 'infrastructure as code'
- In-depth understanding of Cloud based architectures, preferably Amazon Web Services
- Previous experience of supporting virtualisation technologies (or equivalent)
- Strong analytical skills including the ability to quickly identify trends and patterns
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, able to drive out root cause of complex technical problems.
- Strong scripting and automation skills in various languages (such as Python, Ruby, BASH, Powershell, etc.)
- Experience working with a cloud service provider / virtualisation service
- In-depth understanding of networking security concepts, such as IP subnets, NACLs, routing, firewalls.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to leverage self-directed time
- Proven track record of self-motivated expansion of technical knowledge
- Working knowledge with hands on experience of Chef as a configuration management tool
- Experience of test driven development of infrastructure solutions
- Experience of creating and supporting automated CI/CD pipelines through integration tools such as Jenkins
- Experience with other DevOps tooling, such as GitHub, Artifactory, etc
- Familiarity with Agile software development methods and working as part of an Agile Team
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top