Business Manager, Commercial Bank - McLean, VA
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Business Manager, Commercial Bank - McLean, VA
Unlike many other banks and financial services competitors, the [Business Manager] role at Capital One truly sits at the center of finance, data, product and technology. As a Business Manager within Capital One's Commercial Bank, you'll work closely with senior leaders, technologists and partner teams across the enterprise to develop data and technology driven insights to our business's most pressing issues.
What is most notable about this role is the variety of analytical projects and stakeholders you will interact with on a day-to-day basis. The job will constantly involve improving our data quality and collection, enhancing the way we report and visualize this data, and analyzing the data to develop strategic insights and drive financial impact on the business. In addition to the front line business itself, Business Managers will frequently work with Data, Software Engineering, Product, Finance, Credit, and Portfolio Management & Underwriting teams. The insights gained from these projects are highly valued by senior leaders throughout the enterprise. Examples of recent projects include:
- Developing recommendations to leadership on whether to enter a new business market and go-to-market strategies
- Creating a robust analytical framework for evaluating bank performance in an economic downturn
- Analyzing historical market, pricing, and risk trends to guide future strategic priorities
- Working with software engineers and product managers to develop a digital tool to evaluate and optimize the profitability of client relationships
- Automating data reporting tools and visualizations to better guide Underwriters, Relationship Managers, and senior business leader
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Strategic & analytic orientation: A proven track record of decision making and problem solving based on analytics. Identify business challenges and opportunities for improvement and solve for them using analysis to make strategic or tactical recommendations. Conceptual thinking skills must be complemented by a strong quantitative orientation, given that a large part of the business is based on rigorous analytics & credit risk management
- Leadership: May manage and develop 1-2 analysts. Coaching and mentoring associates with a goal of developing and retaining talent at Capital One
- Solid people leadership experience: Ability to build and leverage the capabilities of a high-performing team, as well as business partners across the enterprise. Foster innovation, drive critical decisions, hold business partners accountable, and be able to consistently deliver results
- Product: Develop and implement new product and pricing strategies for various solutions, including Commercial Lending, Capital Markets, Treasury Management and Deposit Services, and Corporate Credit Cards; lead product level modeling/analytics
- Credit Risk: Drive step-change improvements in credit performance by connecting drivers of future consumer credit trends to historical behavior, creating risk models, and testing hypotheses using rigorous monitoring and analysis
- Execution: Manage and sequence delivery of business intent, build business requirements and execute against the product strategy. Oversee multiple projects and programs concurrently
- Clear results orientation: Display an intense focus on achieving both short and long term goals. Drive and execute an agenda in an uncertain and fluid environment
- Marketing: Build targeted insights to inform the design and development of new customer experiences, as well as breakthrough technology and concepts designed to deliver on new go-to-market strategies
- Partnership: Work closely with colleagues across Capital One including: Technology, Sales, Operations, Finance, Product and others to drive improvement in quality, volume, and profitability
- Strong business judgment, leadership and integrity: Be a tenacious decision maker, able to bring a healthy, aggressive, yet responsible approach to business
- Strong executive communication skills: Impeccable written and oral communication credentials, coupled with strategic influencing skills and the ability to drive agreement through intellect, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 2 years of experience in analysis
- Master's Degree
- At least 5 years of experience in analysis
- At least 2 years of experience in financial services
- At least 1 year of experience in consulting
- At least 2 years of experience in people management
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top