Big - Fast Data Engineer
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Big-Fast Data Engineer
We may be a bank, but we think and operate like a tech company. A tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products. A tech company that experiments and innovates with the latest technologies, engineers breakthrough customer experiences, and brings simplicity and humanity to banking.
We began life in 1988 by harnessing the power of big data to create customized products that disrupted the credit card industry. Now we are doubling down on that big data strategy, and we are looking for great data engineers to join us.
As a Capital One Data Engineer, you'll be part of an Agile or platform team dedicated to breaking the norm and pushing the limits of continuous improvement and innovation. You will participate in detailed technical design, development and implementation of applications using existing and emerging technology platforms. Working within an Agile environment, you will provide input into architectural design decisions, develop code to meet story acceptance criteria, and ensure that the applications we build are always available to our customers. You'll have the opportunity to mentor other engineers and develop your technical knowledge and skills to keep your mind and our business on the cutting edge of technology. At Capital One, we have seas of big data and rivers of fast data. To tame it all we're using tools like Spark, Scala, Akka, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, MongoDB, and Mesos – and we're on the look-out for anything else that will help us.
We are looking for driven individuals to join our team of passionate data engineers and create Capital One's next generation of data products and capabilities.
- You will build data pipeline frameworks to automate high-volume data delivery for our Hadoop and streaming data hub
- You will transform complex analytical models into scalable, deployable solutions
- You will continuously integrate and ship code into our Production environment
- You will develop applications from ground up using a modern technology stack such as Scala, Spark, Postgres, Angular JS, and NoSQL
- You will work directly with Product Owners and customers to deliver data products in a collaborative and agile environment
- You will help grow and mentor other team members
Who you are:
- You yearn to be part of cutting edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule
- Someone who is not intimidated by challenges; thrives even under pressure; is passionate about their craft; and hyper focused on delivering exceptional results
- You love to learn new technologies and mentor junior engineers to raise the bar on your team
- It would be awesome if you have a robust portfolio on Github and / or open source contributions you are proud to share
- Passionate about intuitive and engaging user interfaces, as well as new/emerging concepts and techniques in web design
- You use, or are passionate about learning, Spark, Scala, Akka, Kafka, Cassandra, Accumulo, HBase, Hadoop, HDFS, AVRO, MongoDB, and Mesos – and anything else that will help you solve big, messy problems
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience in C, Java, Go, Scala, or Python
- At least 2 years of experience with Unix/Linux systems with scripting experience in Shell, Perl or Python
- 4+ years of experience working with frameworks such as Spark, Hbase, Kafka
- 2+ years of experience working with Cloud platforms and services
- 2+ years of experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems
Capital One will consider sponsoring you for employment authorization for this position
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or [email protected]
All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to [email protected]
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Back to top