Back End Web Developer
201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Back End Web Developer
Do you want to work at startup-speed while solving problems at scale? Do you bristle at the idea of timelines being measured in years? Do you like the idea of being a change-agent in a company your family will recognize? Do you prefer to write software instead of attend meetings? If so: this is the job for you. You will be a key member of the Digital Online Payments Engineering team (we also like the acronym). Its focus is to accelerate platform, feature, and infrastructure development in response to emergent business opportunities.
This team is passionate about moving the engineering needle by shipping quickly and with high quality. The team will solve key strategic technical problems using whatever language/platform is the best choice for that situation. This full stack, multi-disciplinary team is directly accountable to senior Digital Online Payments Engineering leadership. The team is part of a larger Digital Product Engineering technology organization empowered to deliver delightful customer experiences in all digital channels (Web, Mobile, Echo, IoT, etc..). Digital Product Engineering is responsible for building the core digital payments experiences for Capital One, including Apple Pay, Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and Masterpass. Our award-winning products enables our 45 million customers to spend more securely and conveniently. We push the envelope of Fin Tech innovation.
Our team is growing and we're looking for Back-End Software Engineers with full-stack knowledge who lead by doing, have a passion for solving problems and who exude professionalism every day.
- Accelerate an Engineering team that already solves high-value platform, product, and business problems in rapid succession
- Increase efficiency and velocity in the team's technical output: write elegant and performant code; architect modular systems; and quickly debug any issues that may arise
- Assist the team to meet organizational strategy, goals, and key metrics
- Employ sound technical decisions, ensure teammates do the same through code-reviews, and exemplify sound Agile practices such as CICD.
- Own the success of your projects both in terms of delivering on the right objectives and doing so on time
- Write high-quality, test-driven software
- Identify, navigate, and overcome technical and organizational barriers that may stand in the way of delivery
- Inspire your team members through contributing toward a great culture and leading by example
- Author, lead, or adopt new open-source technologies in the team
- Influence outcomes by sharing your opinions and providing thought leadership where appropriate
- Build relationships with team members, stakeholders, partners, and leadership through regular communication
- Constantly improve the processes and practices around development and delivery
- Recruit new engineering talent by representing the Capital One brand through local meetups, conference speaking, and public writing
- Coach and mentor junior developers as needed to solidify best practices in code
- Stay up to date on technologies, techniques, and industry trends
- Bachelor's Degree or Military experience
- At least 4 years of professional software engineering experience
- At least 2 years of experience building software in a continuous integration environment
- At least 1 year of experience with software delivery using Agile
- At least 1 year of experience delivering software in the public cloud
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
3+ years of production experience with the following languages: Java, node.js, Scala, Python, Ruby, Go, Swift
- 2+ years of previous full stack or back-end software development experience with web or mobile
- Proficiency in working with the Spring Boot Java framework
- Proficiency in performance and optimization of large scale server systems
- Proficiency in identifying and remediating bottlenecks in performance
- Knowledge and proficiency of CICD technologies Jenkins, Ansible, Docker, AWS
- Understand the concepts of code repositories and ability to commit/fork/branch/merge code to Git or Subversion
- Working knowledge of REST APIs and Java in a J2EE environment
- Experience with test automation such as Selenium, Cucumber or PhantomJS
- Experience with Agile, Scrum and/or XP
- Ability to use a variety of open source and commercial technologies and tools
- Embrace, practice and evangelize frequent, incremental code testing and deployment
- Working knowledge of the Unix/Linux command line
- Comfortable collaborating and communicating in a large team environment
- Knowledge and proficiency working in Cloud environments – AWS, Docker
- Experience working in a hands-on startup or rapid delivery project
- Experience using TDD practices
- Personal projects in Github
- Open source software contributions
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top