Android or iOS Engineer
White Collar Factory (95009), United Kingdom, London, London
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Android or iOS Engineer
Capital One values deep technical skills and experience in the software industry, and we reward people who bring those skills - but this isn't essential to join our team. We believe that creating great engineers is just as important as hiring great engineers.
At a minimum, we would expect:
- Enthusiasm for developing technologies to solve real problems
- Good working knowledge of Android or iOS as a user
- Demonstrable coding skills (if this isn't Android or iOS development, we'd expect you have a strong desire to learn Android or iOS with help from our experienced team)
- Flexibility to work on non-mobile code (APIs, build systems) when required
- Confidence to challenge our engineering customs and practices
- Overwhelming desire to "do the right thing" for customers
For more senior engineering positions, we would expect to see:
- Planning and prioritisation skills
- Exposure to a wider range of technologies in a production environment
- This isn't a "write code for 7 hours every day while wearing headphones" gig.
- As a software engineer in the Mobile team, your responsibilities would include:
- Understanding customer problems, and working with our design team to propose solutions
- Explaining to the businessy-folk what's possible (and when), what's not possible (and why)
- Supporting other engineers in the team
- Helping to maintain our build system, to support our monthly release cycle
- Planning future work as part of a team
- Navigating our large and sometimes bureaucratic organisation to get features shipped
- Delivering well-tested code, client-side and API-side
For more senior engineering positions:
- Mentoring and supporting other team members would also be a major part of your role
- We would ideally look for candidates who have done all this while delivering a non-trivial project as part of an agile team.
These are the technologies we use. Prior experience would be great, but is not essential.
- Android Studio with Java and Kotlin
- Xcode with Objective-C and Swift
- Unit testing (JUnit or XCTest)
- UI testing (Espresso or XCUITest)
- API development with Java / SpringBoot
For more senior engineering positions, we would expect:
- Deeper understanding of these (or similar) technologies
- Proficiency in technical system design
Our promises to you
During the recruitment process, we will think about your future potential, just as much as your prior experience
We will value your enthusiasm, communication and collaboration skills just as much as your technical skills
If you are hired, we will support you, develop your skills, and challenge you
Un-oh, you have doubts. Of course you do. Doubts about the company ("Credit cards? Really?"), maybe doubts about yourself. We encourage you to apply.
You don't know all the technologies listed? We encourage you to apply.
You don't have eleventy years of experience in software engineering? We encourage you to apply.
You've worked as a sole developer but never in larger teams? We encourage you to apply.
You've got skills but no formal qualifications, and don't believe that should hold you back? We agree, and encourage you to apply.
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Jyotisana manages five teams who simultaneously work on internal and external technology projects in areas from communication to customer service.
Back to top