Android Mobile Developer
Towers Crescent 2 (12067), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Android Mobile Developer
Capital One is a pioneer in financial services, a high-tech company, an innovation laboratory, and a nationally recognized brand that reaches tens of millions of consumers. We are a passionate and entrepreneurial team that embraces bold ideas, fosters collaboration and delivers great consumer experiences. We are looking to change the way people engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It's audacious work at a massive scale.
As a team, we come to work every day looking to build digital experiences that are authentic & bold. We'll improve, iterate and reimagine current digital platforms as we sharpen and create the next generation of our platforms. Our team is growing and we're looking for engineers who lead by doing, have a passion for solving problems and who exude professionalism every day.
At Capital One, the Android platform is recognized as an opportunity to reach our customers in unique, personal and engaging ways. Nothing is off limits as we explore exciting ways to take advantage of the full ecosystem of phones, tablets, Chromecast, Nexus Player, Android Wear, Google Glass and whatever future developments Google creates. Our engineers are provided with top of the line Macbook Pros and the necessary tooling to developer the best possible products with the least amount of friction. We operate in small productive agile teams and use the best industry tools to collaborate across teams. If Jelly Bean and Kit Kat make you think of improved window buffer allocation and Host Card Emulation instead of tasty treats, then you need to come check us out!
- Develop Android client code solutions that deliver on Product Strategy and adheres to established engineering best practices, design guidelines and principles
- Architect reusable components and libraries to be used across multiple client apps
- Partner with Software Engineers, UX/UI, Quality Engineers, Product Owners/Analysts to deliver high performing quality customer experiences that are engaging, purposeful and powerful in their simplicity
- Actively participate in all team agile ceremonies and contributing to ensure that all team commitments are delivered on time and of the highest quality
- Be an active advocate of the Android platform through both internal and external developer communities
- Working to remain an active learner in all technologies related to Android development (Java, Android SDK, AndroidWear, Android Studio, Gradle, 3rd party libraries, Google developments, etc)
- Influence and contribute to group discussions and incorporate feedback/communication from broader team
- Mentor junior to mid-level members of the team
- Actively engage with developers outside of the local sprint team across various disciplines (Android, iOS, APIs, Web, etc.)
- Own and lead delivery of major components and platform needs in partnership with senior engineers and Architects
- Grow and provide SME level leadership
- At least 5 years of professional coding experience
- At least 2 years of professional Android experience
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science
- 6+ years professional coding experience
- 2+ years of experience in Agile and Scrum methodologies
- 2+ years of experience with Android SDK components (Content Providers, Networking, Services, Broadcast Receivers, Intents, Fragments)
- 2+ years experience with Android Studio Tooling
- 2+ years experience driving direction, driving consensus and delivering medium to large sized/complexity components independently
- 1+ years experience with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher
- 1+ years experience with experience with DVCS (Git, Mercurial)
- 1+ years experience with core Android constructs (Layouts, Widgets, Views, Services, Activities and Fragments)
- 1+ years experience with Android unit testing frameworks (JUnit, Robolectric, etc.)
- 1+ years experience with advanced Java OO knowledge (abstract classes, interfaces, anonymous classes, etc.)
- 1+ years experience detecting and abstracting common patterns in code
- 1+ years experience with Google libraries (Play services, Maps, etc.)
- 1+ years experience with development on multiple form factors (phone, tablet, Wear)
- 2+ years leading/overseeing/influencing development activity of multiple developers among and beyond team
- Has demonstrated an investment in Android development knowledge growth through self-study, or side projects for school or work
- Has developed and supported an app in one of the Android markets (Google Play, Amazon App Store, etc.)
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top