HR Generalist - Operations
Canvas is a cloud-based software service revolutionizing how work gets done. We help businesses join the mobile first world by moving from expensive and inefficient paper processes to using Canvas’ powerful apps for smartphones and tablets. As a key member of our People (aka “human resources”) Team, you’ll own the day to day operations that align our high performance culture and teams with the strategic goals of the company. Your mission is to build trust with employees, foster their sense of ownership, and deliver an amazing employee experience.
Reporting to and working very closely with the Chief Financial Officer, you’ll be responsible for serving as the employee payroll and benefits expert for our diverse and multicultural employees. In addition, you’ll be responsible for delivering a positive employee onboarding and orientation experience. You’ll also manage standard compliance requirements including I-9s, ERISA, workers’ comp and immigration matters. This role is perfect for someone who’s analytical, detail oriented, passionate about human resources, possesses a high level of empathy, has a desire to make a difference, and thrives in a very fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
You’ll receive training to become familiar with our culture, systems, mobile app platform and strategy behind our transforming how people around the globe connect. You’ll gain tremendous experience in scaling a rapidly growing SaaS company. We’re looking for A players who believe in our mission, share our values and aren’t afraid to join us on this game changing ride!
So, What’s Canvas?
Canvas is a cloud-based, mobile platform revolutionizing how work gets done. We help businesses join the mobile-first world, where digitalization is everything, by enabling expensive and inefficient paper forms and processes to be replaced with powerful apps for smartphones and tablets. Trusted by thousands of well-known brands like Target, Pepsi, Honda and Red Bull throughout more than 70 countries means there's a good chance you’ve been around someone using Canvas in the past 24 hours, making us one of the fastest growing mobile platforms in the world.
We’ve been recognized in the 2016 CTIA Emerging Technology awards and our CEO won the Information Week Elite 100 IT Hero Award. We’re proud to have been honored as a Washington Business Journal 2016 Best Places To Work and to have won the Northern Virginia Technology Council’s 2016 Hot Ticket Award for Hottest Company Culture. We’re on a mission to continue fostering our award winning culture for people who like to make an impact, enjoy collaborating and who are passionate about the triple bottom line – helping people, the company and the planet!
Your Most Important Initiatives
• Day to day HR operations (payroll, benefits, compliance) aligning our high performance culture and team with the strategic goals of the company
• Partner with the Chief Financial Officer to design programs to best match our team members’ needs
• Collaborate with recruiters and team leads to ensure a consistent, engaging and empathetic onboarding experience from interviews to offer letter generation and acceptance to equipment set up and benefits enrollment
• Spearhead new team member orientation at corporate headquarters and other office locations, ensuring alignment with our award winning culture and employer brand
• Create a sense of community and keep a pulse on culture by fostering proactive information exchanges through All Hands, town halls, one on one check ins, stay interviews and the like
• Maintain Namely, our human resource management system of record and tool for sustaining high employee engagement
• Other duties as assigned from time to time
What Your Success Looks Like
● High performing and engaged workforce as measured through engagement surveys
● Continued recognition as a Best Places To Work
What You Bring
● Energy, enthusiasm, positive attitude and a motivation to learn and grow in a fast-paced, fun, rapidly growing company
● A confident and engaging personality that shines on the phone and in person
● Self-starter able to work without direct guidance and oversight (hint: a strong work ethic will take you far!)
● Highly effective communication skills
● A Bachelor’s degree and minimum 5 years’ experience
● Familiarity with ACA, COBRA, ERISA, FMLA and related state and federal regulations
● Stellar organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and effective time management and prioritization skills
● Strong desire to succeed in a fast-paced, continuously changing environment with the ability to multi task and meet deadlines
● Flexibility and adaptability are crucial
● Knowledge and proficiency with Google Apps, Slack and Namely
● Previous experience in a venture capital-backed start up preferred
● Great to work with every day and seeking the ride of your life!
What Canvas Brings
We believe culture eats strategy for breakfast and that hiring the right people is THE most important thing we do. That’s why we take our company values so seriously and look for these traits in everyone we hire: Empathy, Innovation, Authenticity, Impactful, Team Player and Cheeky/Fun Loving. We believe in giving people the freedom to get things done, but that they should also have accountability for their key metrics, think and act like owners of our business and be able to work in a flat organizational structure. We provide an environment that allows for innovation and creativity as well as a chance for highly motivated individuals to have fun at work.
Based in Reston, Virginia, our global headquarters is located in Refraction, a co-working space created for entrepreneurs, diverse start-ups, artists and not-for-profits to share an amazing office with unlimited snacks, free drinks and collaboration areas. To better help us revolutionize how work gets done around the globe, we also have offices in London and Sydney.
While we believe culture trumps perks, we are proud to provide a comprehensive benefits package designed to meet our team members’ needs.
• Competitive Compensation
• Equity Ownership
• Entrepreneurial Vacation Policy (sometimes known as unlimited vacation)
• 12 Company-Paid Holidays, which rotate annually, but always include Earth Day and one other day significant to Canvas, such as Steve Jobs’ birthday
• An ideal Reston Town Center location with an abundance of FREE covered parking, dozens of restaurants, 45 retail stores, a movie theatre, outdoor concerts, all within walking distance of the office
• Company-Subsidized healthy lunches
• Medical Insurance, where the Employee Only level of coverage is free!
• Dental and Vision Insurance
• Health Savings Account depending upon your medical plan selection
• Basic Term Life Insurance and Personal Accident Insurance
• Voluntary Life Insurance
• Short and Long-Term Disability
Meet Some of Canvas's Employees
Mobile App Consultant
Hillary qualifies and vets Canvas’ mobile trial users, collaborating with them to pinpoint their individual company goals and showing them how Canvas can help to achieve them.
Back to top