Materials Developer - Trims
The trim developer collaborates with the Design team to develop trim items based on product strategy, target prices, quality standards and execute against timelines established in corporate calendar. This role involves a focus on trims, across various product categories. In this role, the Developer will lead supplier meetings, trim development process, trouble shooting, status updates to internal cross functional teams and related communication to external partners to ensure the success and timely development of trims.
- Be the key consultant for trims related questions for all product categories.
- Collaborate with Design/merchandising to understand collection directions, aligned with design's vision and styling requirements.
- Identify suitable sources for new trim developments and guide suppliers to translate the design vision into trims which meet commercial needs of the brand.
- Partner with Design to Initiate and monitor all trim developments for the respective material focus area together with suppliers
- Responsible for initial price negotiations with suppliers during development stage, in view of target.
- Lead all technical discussions related to the respective material focus area, steer the development process and support consolidation to improve business execution.
- Establish quality standards, in partnerships with product development and Raw Materials teams, for each trim developed, to be based on end-product requirements, end use, and historical standards.
- Ensure all developments are commercialized timely and successfully.
- Ensure that all adopted trim are tested in accordance with product requirements and with applicable calendar timelines
- Analyze and interpret development test results based on development specifications & take determine course of action
- Create, maintain and publish materials standard sheets for all new developments capturing all key information i.e., QA standard, test method and commercial information, pertaining to the item.
- Participate and lead supplier meetings with cross functional teams including Design
- Collaborate with procurement to ensure on-time placement of sales sample requirements
- Manage the color development process with the supplier. Work with the supplier to expedite resubmits and communicate corrective color comments to help achieve color approval within development timeline.
- Lead item set-up in both PLM/ERP data bases and maintenance of correct data in PLM/ERP, to ensure accuracy of system, assisting in building of BOM's and procurement driven business transaction.
- Develop and maintain a strong knowledge of internal and external factory capabilities.
- Partner with design team to hand-off approved standards of the trims to Quality team for bulk execution.
- Record and review seasonal development performance summary on key performance metrics
- Provide latest information on newness by gathering innovative input from relevant fairs, supplier meetings, material shows and competitor analysis
Experience, Education and Designations:
- Four year college or university degree in textile studies or comparable degree/education
- Minimum of 5 years' work experience in trim development, preferably in outdoor apparel industry
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes:
- Technically sound trim development background within the Apparel or Textile industry
- Ability to anticipate problems, offers solutions, and address issues with materials in order to meet the Design team's aesthetic goals and financial targets
- Ability to work independently or with limited guidance
- Effective communicator, verbal and written. Strong and confident presentation skills.
- Excellent organization skills, with the ability to prioritize workloads, meet critical deadlines and manage multiple projects at the same time
- Strong IT skills (e-mail, MS office based applications)
- 15% International and domestic travel required
We truly thank all applicants for their interest in joining the Goose Team, but only those candidates considered for an initial interview will be contacted.
Canada Goose Inc. is committed to delivering and improving accessibility in employment for all persons with disabilities. Accommodation is available, upon request, in the application and interview process and in the course of all other methods of selection of employees. Successful candidates for employment will be introduced to and trained in respect of all of Canada Goose Inc.'s human rights, accommodation and accessibility polices.
Meet Some of Canada Goose's Employees
Assistant General Manager, Operations
Connie oversees operations at the flagship location, including coaching, training, and developing staff—and ensuring operational excellence, as well as building and propelling the Canada Goose brand to retail customers.
Back to top