eCommerce Buyer (Merchandiser)
The eCommerce Buyer (Merchandiser) will develop business strategies and campaign assortment plans to maximize the development of the CafePress brand, sales and profits. You will identify new opportunities and lead development of new product or concepts. The role requires you to manage information across functions working closely with Finance, Direct Marketing, and Brand Marketing to ensure the process is followed. You will also assist in mentoring and developing junior buyers.
Who You Are:
- Creative – you have an artistic eye and know how to present merch in a way that will get customers to buy (and keep buying)
- Trend Watcher – you stay up-to-date on all the most current retail trends and can identify future trends that align with our mission and business strategy
- Intuitive – you have an instinct for what will sell well on each channel
- Product Guru – you know your product categories inside and out and have an overall affinity for your product lines
- Experienced – you have experience with product personalization / customization and understand how to select and position merch in a way where customers can envision personalizing those products
- Customer-Focused – you understand our customers and select the appropriate assortment for each channel
Who You Are Not:
- Procurement Expert – this is not a back office, vendor negotiating procurement role
- Overly Analytical - yes, you should be able to read reports and make decisions based on that data; yet, we need this role to be more creative and intuitive than relying solely on data
- Sole Brick and Mortar – if you have no e-commerce / online experience, this isn’t the role for you
Outcome / Responsibilities:
- Perform market analysis and analyze sales trends to keep abreast of business opportunities.
- Obtain feedback from Customer Service to improve the assortment.
- Develop business strategies capitalizing on strengths and new opportunities and minimizing weaknesses and threats.
- Clearly communicate are campaign strategies to cross-functional partners.
- Maintain relationships, resolve issues and conduct final negotiations with significant suppliers and agents as necessary.
- Develop promotional and campaign calendars.
- Develop purchase projections, buy plans and open-to-buy
- For assigned areas, take full responsibility for final product collections, order quantities, costing and delivery dates and changes the affect production deadlines and plan objectives
- Develop exit strategies and adjustments to the plan as needed, to maximize sales and profits.
- Investigate and respond to customer service issues related to quality.
- Collaborate with operations to manage operational content online (cutoff dates, shipping table, return policy, etc.)
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Insightful retailer with strong entrepreneurial skills and competence in merchandising
- Communicate effectively to influence and persuade key partners
- Great instinct "know it, when you see it"
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Buying, Merchandising, Product Development, or similar field of study required.
- 5 + years of Buying/Merchandising experience.
- eCommerce merchandising experience is mandatory.
- Experience mentoring junior team members.
- Experience with apparel or hardlines preferred.
- Possess strong time management skills with ability to focus and manage multiple projects with shifting priorities.
- Possess strong business and financial acumen skills; including advanced analytical and problem- solving skills.
- Possess advanced presentation, written and verbal communication skills.
This position has direct supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a clerical office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Meet Some of CafePress's Employees
The culture of CafePress really reflects the culture of our customers—and that's what we love about it.
Back to top