Job Title: Maintenance Person
Employment Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt (Hourly)
The objective of a Maintenance Person is to exceed guest expectations of the overall maintenance, functionality, ambiance and beauty of the property grounds, interior and exterior. This position has daily oversight of property grounds and is responsible for coordinating the grounds and maintenance teams.
The person having this position must possess good communication skills, have the ability to resolve conflict and have a thorough understanding of company/guest policies, procedures and expectations. All Bunkhouse employees are expected to greet all guests in close proximity and make each feel important by providing a genuine welcome. Furthermore, a Maintenance Person has the responsibility of developing and maintaining the hotel's culture, values and reputation in the public eye, and with all staff, guests, vendors and partners. Maintenance Men must promote the Bunkhouse Mission in all actions and decisions and is accountable to the overall team.
Based upon fluctuating demands of the operation and to exceed customer expectations, it may be necessary to perform a multitude of different functions not specifically related to this position. This person may be expected to perform other tasks and duties as needed or as directed. Furthermore, employee responsibilities and job descriptions are subject to review and revision.
Adheres to all standards of operations, policies and procedures, manuals, training material, memos and verbal instruction
Communicates with Front Desk, Maintenance Manager, and General Manager regarding problems that need immediate attention
Performs daily inspection of property for maintenance issues
Responsible for training new staff members
Cleans and maintains all exterior landscape lighting
Performs necessary room touch-ups and repairs – including furniture, fixtures, basic electrical, basic plumbing and HVAC system repair
Helps the Maintenance Manager ensure the property passes all city, safety and ADA codes
Performs all regularly scheduled maintenance operations (filters, paint, updates, furniture change-out, etc.)
- Maintains all equipment/tools; report condition of all equipment/tools and notify General Manager when broken, lost, etc
10.Responsible for offsite maintenance and landscaping purchasing
11.Maintains organization and cleanliness of warehouse area
12.Coordinates special projects with other managers and staff
13.Communicates with Housekeeping staff regarding room cleanliness/condition
14.Responsible for the maintenance of company vehicles
15.Assists other staff when needed
16.Problem-solve and implements methods to improve department
Reports Directly to: Maintenance Manager
Also works for: GM, AGM and Manager on Duty
Education & Experience
High School diploma or general education degree (GED). College Degree preferred
- Six (6) months related experience in hospitality or service industry. 1 year maintenance experience.
Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) of the workplace
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
Ability to speak effectively before groups of co-workers and sister property staff
Ability to create documents in Excel and Word
Ability to understand other computer programs (i.e. Property Management System)
- Ability to apply concepts of math including: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, algebra and geometry, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
The person in this position may have to lift up to 100 pounds on a daily basis
The person having this position may have to sit for one (1) hour, stand and/or walk, push, kneel, bend, balance, squat, reach and stretch for eight (8) hours per day
- The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About our Company:
Located on a quiet stretch of San Antonio's River Walk, Hotel Havana is a 27 room historic property restored from a 1914 upscale residential hotel. Paying homage to its original spirit, all unique guest rooms and public spaces reflect a combination of Mediterranean Revival architecture, rich Spanish Colonial history, and calm Caribbean temperament, which has made Hotel Havana one of the most authentic places to stay in San Antonio. Hotel Havana also offers two distinct dining venues: Ocho, a glass-enclosed restaurant serving pan-Latin and San Antonio-fused cuisine with river views, along with Havana Bar, the downstairs cocktail lounge with velvet couches and antique leather club chairs.
Hotel Havana is proud to be a part of Bunkhouse, a hospitality company created by hotelier Liz Lambert that believes in inspired design, connection to place and the value of community. Bunkhouse has designed and developed a celebrated portfolio of hospitality projects including Hotel San José, Hotel Saint Cecilia, Austin Motel, and Jo's Coffee in Austin, Hotel Havana and Ocho in San Antonio, and El Cosmico in Marfa, Texas.
Compensation & Benefits:
Bunkhouse offers competitive wages, a superior benefits and PTO package, and a liberal working environment that fosters individuality and creativity.
Bunkhouse Core Values:
- BE REAL. We treat everyone like human beings. We are respectful and authentic, we listen, and we develop meaningful relationships with guests, customers and each other. We encourage our employees to have a voice and to use it to improve the work we do.
- CREATE MAGIC. In design, service and all things, we go above and beyond to inspire. Every detail counts, and we believe that our work is a collaboration that depends on all of us bringing our creativity and passion to work with us every day.
- BE HERE NOW. In our work, creating a sense of place is important. We contribute to the fabric of our respective communities by honoring, representing and supporting the communities in which our businesses exist. We make it our goal to be experts on our cities, and we leave travelers with a sense of where they have been.
- EMBRACE ADVENTURE. We don't always know where the road will lead, but we know that we'll have each other along the journey. We strive to learn and grow from our experiences, to create meaningful structure along the way and, in some cases, to embrace chaos when necessary.
- LOOK TOWARDS THE FUTURE. We work with a spirit of continuous improvement in all areas. We seek to provide a path of growth for all of our employees and for Bunkhouse as a whole.
See Inside the Office of Bunkhouse
With a passion for design, tireless attention to detail, and a commitment to creating authentic culture, Bunkhouse creates properties that have earned a unique place in the hearts and minds of those who visit. Bunkhouse has a reputation for building memorable experiences that offer more than just a good night's sleep and a great cup of coffee.
Back to top