Cook (South Congress)
Hotel San Jose and Jo's coffee shop on South Congress known for events including Jazz Brunch and SXSJ, are looking to expand our food offerings to our guests. We are inspired by quality ingredients that are easy to take on the go. The right person will be creative, motivated and detail oriented. We are looking for a few experienced cooks to help us raise our culinary offerings here at our property.
Job Description Summary
A Cook will exceed the expectations of all guests in a multitude of tasks that include, but are not limited to, food preparation duties, cooking and seasoning all menu items, ordering kitchen supplies and maintaining Health Department Standards within your work area.
The person having this position must comply with the property's dress code, possess good communication skills, and have the ability to resolve conflict and posses a thorough understanding of Bunkhouse policies. All Bunkhouse employees, even those who are not exposed to guests on a day-to-day basis, are expected to greet all guests in close proximity and make each feel important by providing a genuine welcome. Furthermore, a Cook and Food Preparation Worker must develop and maintain the company's culture, values and reputation in the public eye, and with all staff, guests, vendors and partners. Cooks must promote the Bunkhouse Vision and Core Values in all actions and decisions and are accountable to the overall team.
Based upon fluctuating demands of the operation and to exceed customer expectations, it may be necessary to perform a multitude of different functions not specifically related to this position. This person may be expected to perform other tasks and duties as needed or as directed. Furthermore, employee responsibilities and job descriptions are subject to review and revision.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
- Adhere to all standards of operations, policies and procedures, manuals, training material, memos and verbal instruction
- Maintain a high level of personal hygiene and adhere to dress code policies
- Clean work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, and silverware
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage
- Prepare a variety of foods, including crepes to order, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures
- Prepare and serve a variety of beverages such as coffee, tea, and soft drinks
- Bake or order breads, rolls, cakes, and pastries
- Prepare relishes and hors d'oeuvres
- Carry food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas
- Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices
- Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking
- Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience
- Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils
- Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment
- Portion, arrange, and garnish food, and serve food to waiters or patrons
- Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters
- Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption
- Estimate expected food consumption, requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage
- Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs
- Prep food items for after hours distribution
- Coordinate the production of pastries
- Assist in the development and implementation of special projects
- Ensure immediate response is given to any and all guest comments and concerns and inform immediate supervisor of concerns and assist implementing corrective measure when necessary
- Maintain a positive relationship with all employees and guests
- Ensure open lines of communication with all departments and upper management at all times via email, log books, meetings, etc., to ensure all needs of the hotel are met
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness and safety in the work area
- Ensure that all equipment is maintained in good, safe working condition
- Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues throughout the property
- Keep abreast of safety and emergency procedures and OSHA requirements
- Attend relevant meetings
See Inside the Office of Bunkhouse
With a passion for design, tireless attention to detail, and a commitment to creating authentic culture, Bunkhouse creates properties that have earned a unique place in the hearts and minds of those who visit. Bunkhouse has a reputation for building memorable experiences that offer more than just a good night's sleep and a great cup of coffee.
Back to top