Cook (Jo's Downtown)
About our Company:
Jo’s has a reputation for building memorable experiences that offer more than just a great cup of coffee. Passion for design, tireless attention to detail and a commitment to creating authentic culture have earned our properties a unique place in the hearts and minds of those who visit us. Our work is rooted in the communities in which we exist, and we believe above all else in creating an awareness of and connection to a sense of place in all that we do.
Jo’s Coffee is proud to be a part of Bunkhouse, a hospitality company created by hotelier Liz Lambert that believes in inspired design, connection to place and the value of community. Bunkhouse has designed and developed a celebrated portfolio of hospitality projects including Hotel San José, Hotel Saint Cecilia, Austin Motel, and Jo’s Coffee in Austin, Hotel Havana and Ocho in San Antonio, and El Cosmico in Marfa, Texas.
Job Title: Cook
Employment Classification: Full-time, Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Location: 242 W. 2nd Street. Austin, TX
Job Description Summary
A Cook will exceed the expectations of all guests in a multitude of tasks that include, but are not limited to, food preparation duties, cooking and seasoning all menu items, ordering kitchen supplies and maintaining Health Department Standards within your work area.
The person having this position must comply with the property’s dress code, possess good communication skills, and have the ability to resolve conflict and posses a thorough understanding of Jo’s policies. All Jo’s employees, even those who are not exposed to guests on a day-to-day basis, are expected to greet all guests in close proximity and make each feel important by providing a genuine welcome. Furthermore, a Cook and Food Preparation Worker must develop and maintain the company’s culture, values and reputation in the public eye, and with all staff, guests, vendors and partners. Cooks must promote the Company’s Vision and Core Values in all actions and decisions and are accountable to the overall team.
Based upon fluctuating demands of the operation and to exceed customer expectations, it may be necessary to perform a multitude of different functions not specifically related to this position. This person may be expected to perform other tasks and duties as needed or as directed. Furthermore, employee responsibilities and job descriptions are subject to review and revision.
Essential Functions and Accountabilities
1. Adhere to all standards of operations, policies and procedures, manuals, training material, memos and verbal instruction
2. Maintain a high level of personal hygiene and adhere to dress code policies
3. Clean work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, and silverware
4. Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage
5. Prepare a variety of foods according to customers’ orders or supervisors’ instructions, following approved procedures
6. Carry food supplies, equipment, and utensils to and from storage and work areas
7. Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, sanitary food-handling practices
8. Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking
9. Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience
10. Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils
11. Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment
12. Portion, arrange, and garnish food, and serve food to waiters or patrons
13. Regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, and roasters
14. Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption
15. Estimate expected food consumption, requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage
16. Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs
17. Prep food items for after hours distribution
18. Ensure immediate response is given to any and all guest comments and concerns and inform immediate supervisor of concerns and assist implementing corrective measure when necessary
19. Maintain a positive relationship with all employees and guests
20. Maintain a high level of cleanliness and safety in the work area
21. Ensure that all equipment is maintained in good, safe working condition
22. Keep abreast of safety and emergency procedures and OSHA requirements
23. Attend relevant meetings
Reports Directly to: AGM, GM and DOO
Also works for: Bunkhouse
Work Related Experience
Two (2) years related experience in a kitchen environment
High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
Certificates, licenses, and/or identification cards as required by the U.S. Department of Justice to verify employment eligibility
- *Must pass background check
Budget Control Responsibilities
Inventory controls (i.e. food, beverage, utensils, etc.). Responsible for, but not limited to, weekly inventory of goods
Maintain an increased awareness of safety issues. Ensure all security policies and procedures are observed in areas such as computer security, inventory, and property and employee information.
1. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
2. The person in this position may have to lift up to fifty (50) pounds on a daily basis; anything over fifty (50) pounds is considered a minimum two (2) person lift.
3. The person having this position may have to sit for one (1) hour, stand and/or walk, push, kneel, bend, balance, squat, reach and stretch for eight (8) hours per day.
4. The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those an employee typically encounters while performing the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Compensation & Benefits:
Bunkhouse offers competitive wages, a superior benefits and PTO package, and a liberal working environment that fosters individuality and creativity.
Bunkhouse Core Values:
- BE REAL. We treat everyone like human beings. We are respectful and authentic, we listen, and we develop meaningful relationships with guests, customers and each other. We encourage our employees to have a voice and to use it to improve the work we do.
- CREATE MAGIC. In design, service and all things, we go above and beyond to inspire. Every detail counts, and we believe that our work is a collaboration that depends on all of us bringing our creativity and passion to work with us every day.
- BE HERE NOW. In our work, creating a sense of place is important. We contribute to the fabric of our respective communities by honoring, representing and supporting the communities in which our businesses exist. We make it our goal to be experts on our cities, and we leave travelers with a sense of where they have been.
- EMBRACE ADVENTURE. We don’t always know where the road will lead, but we know that we’ll have each other along the journey. We strive to learn and grow from our experiences, to create meaningful structure along the way and, in some cases, to embrace chaos when necessary.
- LOOK TOWARDS THE FUTURE. We work with a spirit of continuous improvement in all areas. We seek to provide a path of growth for all of our employees and for Bunkhouse as a whole.
See Inside the Office of Bunkhouse
With a passion for design, tireless attention to detail, and a commitment to creating authentic culture, Bunkhouse creates properties that have earned a unique place in the hearts and minds of those who visit. Bunkhouse has a reputation for building memorable experiences that offer more than just a good night's sleep and a great cup of coffee.
Back to top