Fire Protection Systems Engineer
BRPH is looking for a Mechanical Engineer – Fire Protection Systems for our office in Melbourne, Florida. In this position you will be working as an analyst for the Fire Hazards Analysis team supporting the design, construction and commission. You will be preparing fire hazards analyses, technical reports and supporting studies and design documentation, and performing calculations using engineering software. The ideal candidate will have experience in process and fire protection system design, and will be capable of developing fire hazards analyses design documents that incorporate the applicable design requirements, including nuclear safety requirements. You will be interfacing and coordinating with other engineering disciplines and the client in development of the design.
Executes assignments in Fire Protection Engineering within the government services business unit. Has technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, and coordinating Fire Protection issues.
- Support a group of fire hazards analysts in the development and maintenance of the fire hazards analysis program for the WTP facilities utilizing recognized fire protection industry approaches, methodologies, calculations, and analyses, including advanced fire modeling.
- Support project needs for design, design review, installation, commissioning, code interpretations, and walk downs at the WTP facility as needed to support project deadlines.
- Apply principles of fire safety in the development and maintenance of the fire hazards analysis program.
- Support Construction and Operations on an as needed basis.
- Interface with internal customers, as required, for the design, installation, and testing of the passive and active fire protection systems and components.
- Support the development of fire protection components of authorization basis documents and other safety submittals.
- Support DOE and external regulatory agency reviews of fire protection aspects of design and installation on WTP.
- Perform Fire Protection reviews to determine compliance with applicable DOE orders, NFPA standards, model building codes, and FM standards.
- Provide technical guidance in the development of fire protection equivalencies to the DOE standards, building code, and NFPA codes and standards.
- Provide technical guidance in review of engineering analyses and engineering judgments for alternative fire barrier systems, opening protectives, and penetration firestops.
- Support alignment of fire protection systems design and installation with requirements identified in upper tier requirements in Authorization Basis Documents, facility Fire Hazards Analysis documents, and Engineering Basis of Design documents.
- Develop and maintain fire hazards analysis for WTP facilities utilizing recognized fire protection industry approaches, methodologies, calculations and analysis including advanced fire modeling.
- BS degree in Engineering (Mechanical or related), from an accredited university.
- Possess legal right to work and remain in US without sponsorship.
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to utilize office automation tools effectively.
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory guides, codes, and standards.
- Broad knowledge of application of Fire Protection engineering design principles.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of fire, life safety, and building codes - including UL and FM standards.
- Experience as a fire protection engineer at a major commercial, industrial, or nuclear facility with a strong background in fire suppression and fire alarm system design.
- Experience working on DOE or DOD government projects, including experience with DOE Fire safety requirements (DOE STD-1066, DOE Order 420.1)
- Experience with fire modeling using Consolidated Model of Fire and Smoke Transport (CFAST), and Fire Dynamics Simulator (FDS).
- Experience in nuclear or chemical process facilities, codes and standards for hazardous materials, and safety regulatory compliance is helpful.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job description may be changed to include new responsibilities and tasks or change existing ones as management deems necessary.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vet/Disability
Back to top