Manager, Tax Services
- St. Louis, MO
The Tax Manager handles the day-to-day supervision of staff including complex tax research, review of tax returns, tax planning responsibilities for the Firm's corporate and individual clients, research and analysis of a wide range of tax issues related to business transactions, and correspondence with IRS and state taxing authorities. They are also involved with the development of marketing, training, and mentoring skills, and represent the Firm in the community.
- Responsible for planning and reviewing tax engagements for business returns, individuals and trusts, gift and estates, may include payroll, sales/use tax, consolidated and multi-state returns
- Resolves all tax issues with client and involves specialists where appropriate
- Performs complex tax research and applies the knowledge obtained
- Reviews federal and state quarterly estimates and annual extensions
- Manages multiple engagements simultaneously to include planning and reviewing the tax process and the procedures to be performed, budgeting and staffing, monitoring the engagement process, as well as timely billing (management of identified out-of-scope activity) and communicating to client
- Provides research support to a transaction review process
- Exhibits an understanding of clients' business objectives and performs tax research with a view for alternatives to satisfy those objectives
- Works effectively with associates and superiors, across practices, in analyzing business transactions
- Researches and drafts memorandums for unusual tax matters, and involves specialists where appropriate
- Reviews analysis of FAS 109 and FIN 48
- Prepares/reviews workpapers supporting current and deferred tax provisions
- Handles and resolves tax controversies
- Supervises, trains, and mentors staff accountants on projects and assesses performance through formal periodic reviews and informal feedback
- Acts as a Performance Manager to Tax professionals and an Advisor to other practice personnel
- Networks within tax area of expertise and specialization; effectively developing and maintaining client relationships
- Contributes to the Firm's marketing outreach and writes tax articles for client newsletter
- Participates in client and prospect meetings including the development of proposals, budgets, and follow through related to same
- Prepares client billing and fosters relationships with new and continuing clients including client transitions from retiring Partners, and driving overall client service
- Performs other duties as requested or assigned
education AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS/BA degree Accountancy
- CPA or CPA candidate required
- 7 to 10 years of experience in federal and corporate tax compliance work in public accounting
- Experience in a multitude of industries providing tax planning, consulting, research, and compliance review for individual, corporate, and partnership clients and with large multi-national clients
- Experience with all types of business entities (C-corporations, S-corporations, partnerships) and related structuring and planning for business owners
- Extensive knowledge of requisite software and internal work flow/procedures
- Experienced with IRS Circular 230 Regulations Governing the Practice of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants, Actuaries and Enrolled Agents Before the IRS and the AICPA Professional Code of Conduct
- Solid understanding of ASC 740, mergers & acquisitions, and multi-state and international issues
- Proficient with tax preparation and research software applications
- Able to manage work/projects effectively and meet deadlines
- Proficient in MS Office programs, tax-preparation & write-up programs, and online tax research
- Flexible to handle complex assignments as well as routine tax work (both of which require hands on advanced tax experience)
- Superior problem solving ability
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience supervising and mentoring staff on engagements
- Experience managing client relationships/engagements in manufacturing, distribution or service businesses
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must regularly sit, talk, listen, and respond. The employee frequently is required to walk and use fingers, tools, and/or various controls. The employee must occasionally stand and reach with arms and hands. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and depth perception. Occasionally, the employee will lift up to 25 pounds or more, such as, to lift files, papers and equipment.
The above physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet with frequent interruptions. The employee continuously interacts with staff and/or clients. Travel may be necessary to various client or business sites for delivery of work product. Overtime is required throughout the year; with the expectation of 2400 hours each calendar year (consisting of both billable and non-billable time). Additional policies may be put into effect during busy season, i.e., no vacation or non-emergency-related personal time away from the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties.
The information contained in job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Brown Smith Wallace is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by the law. Brown Smith Wallace is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
Back to top