Manager, Entrepreneurial Services Group
The manager will handle day-to-day supervision of staff, which include complex tax research, review of tax returns, tax planning responsibilities for our corporate and individual clients, research and analysis of wide range of tax issues related to business transactions, IRS and state taxing authorities correspondence. The position involves the development of marketing, training, and mentoring skills and representation of the firm in the community.
- Responsible for planning and reviewing tax engagements for all business returns, individuals and trusts, gift and estates, may include payroll, sales/use tax, consolidated and multi-state returns.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform complex Tax research and apply the knowledge obtained
- Perform tax planning and preparation for small/large- size businesses in diverse industries, individuals, estates, and trusts
- Prepare/review workpapers supporting current and deferred tax provisions
- Prepare/review required tax related disclosures for inclusion with the quarterly and annual financial reports
- Conduct review of T/R and resolve all tax issues with client; involves specialists where appropriate
- Review federal and state quarterly estimates and annual extensions
- Manage multiple engagements simultaneously: plan and review the tax process and the procedures to be performed; budgeting and staffing; monitoring engagement process; and timely billing including management of identified out-of-scope activity and communication to client
- Review of work papers to support the completion of state and federal corporate income tax returnsUnderstands more complex business transactions and related issues
- Provides research support to a transaction review process
- Demonstrates an ability to review complex individual and business tax returns on a timely and efficient basis
- Exhibits an understanding of client's business objectives and performs tax research with a view for alternatives to satisfy those objectives
- Works effectively with associates and superiors, across practices, in analyzing business transactions
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively gather data from client, Audit Department, and third party sources
- Research and draft memorandums for unusual tax matters; involves specialists where appropriate
- Review of Analysis of FAS 109 and Fin 48 and related tax rate impact
- Handle and resolve tax controversies
- Manage multiple engagements simultaneously
- Supervise, train, and mentor staff accountants on projects and assess performance through formal periodic reviews and informal feedback; act as Performance Manager to Tax professionals and Advisor to other practice personnel
- Be available to other departments for consultation as needed
- Involved in the networking and business development within your tax area of expertise and specialization; effectively developing and maintaining client relationships
- Contributor to the Firm's marketing outreach and writing tax articles for client newsletter
- Comfortable in client meetings, prospect meetings and involved in the development of proposals, budgets, and follow through related to same.
- Involved in billing and client relationships, new and continuing clients, client transitions from retiring partners, and overall client service
Manager level tax professionals are expected to have an extensive knowledge of requisite software and internal work flow/procedures. Tax professionals should be experienced with IRS Circular 230 Regulations Governing the Practice of Attorneys, Certified Public Accountants, Actuaries and Enrolled Agents Before the IRS and the AICPA Professional Code of Conduct. It is the individual responsibility of every employee to maintain a current awareness and understanding of and to fully comply with the firm's code of ethics, independence rules and quality control practices.
education AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS/BA degree Accountancy
- CPA Required
- 7 - 10 years of experience in federal and corporate tax compliance work in public accounting
- Experience in a multitude of industries providing tax planning, consulting, research, and compliance review for individual, corporate, and partnership clients and with large multi-national clients
- Flexible enough to handle complex assignments as well as routine tax work, both of which require hands onadvanced tax experience
- Experience supervising and mentoring staff on engagements
- Experience managing client relationships/engagements in manufacturing, distribution or service businesses.
- Experience with all types of business entities (C-corporations, S-corporations, partnerships) and related structuring and planning for business owners.
- Solid understanding of ASC 740, mergers & acquisitions, and multi-state and international issues
- Ability to manage work/projects effectively and meet deadlines
- Proficient with tax preparation and research software applications
- Superior problem solving ability
- Ability to work independently and as part of a tea
- Proficient in MS Office programs, tax-preparation & write-up programs, and online tax research
Meet Some of Brown Smith Wallace's Employees
Jessi works to serve clients in accomplishing vital business tasks—whether that’s testing, documentation, tax compliance, or identifying areas of risk— with exceptional professionalism, excellence, and integrity.
Back to top