Chief Financial Officer
The CFO position encompasses a wide range of activities with involvement in all phases of administration, finances, facilities, and information technology. The CFO puts the Firm's needs first and works closely with the Managing Partner and Firm Leadership/Partners on firm-wide policy setting, problem solving and decision making. The CFO is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and controlling the day-to-day business operations of the Firm, and for directing the implementation of firm's business policies. This is a roll-up your sleeves hands on position that requires significant attention to detail, entrepreneurial thinking and efficient and effective decision making.
- Coach/manage/lead accounting functions - direct daily activities, make improvements in financial operations.
- Improve effectiveness and efficiency of company systems and processes.
- Monitor cash ensuring sufficient cash balances for operational needs and arranging for debt financing when necessary.
- Provide financial leadership to the entire organization through development of performance dashboards/scorecards and assists in results interpretation.
- Develop and maintain growth and cash flow models to assist leadership with strategic decisions.
- Direct the financial affairs of the organization and prepare financial analyses of operations, including interim and final financial statements with supporting schedules, for the guidance of management.
- Develop and oversees the implementation of financial policies, procedures and long and short-term strategies.
- Ensure effective financial controls, and accurate, timely reporting.
- Oversee and participate in annual budget preparation.
- Review revenue and expense trends and communicate any adverse trend results to management, make recommendations for improvement and/or correction.
- Presents financial results at Executive Committee and Partner Meetings.
- Oversee billing/collection process to ensure minimal investment in WIP A/R.
- Oversee financial operations and the issuance and interpretation of financial results of affiliate companies
- Direct and manage the activities and workload of the firm's administrative staff including firm coordinator, director of information systems, and billing/projects manager
- Ensure that the administrative departments are well managed and working to achieve goals in an efficient and productive manner, especially providing excellent service to clients internal and external
- Research and recommend purchase, lease or rental of necessary office equipment. Negotiate contracts with vendors.
- Ensure the firm is adequately covered for various types of liability insurance including professional liability, general liability, employee dishonesty, worker's compensation, facilities, errors and omissions, notary public, fiduciary, employment practices, Directory and Officer, Cyber etc. Handle all claims for any of the above and work with vendors to ensure the best cost/benefit coverage for the firm.
- Ensure client requested contractual insurance coverage matches actual coverage carried by the firm and assists in negotiations to meet gaps.
- Direct preparation and maintenance of Business, IT and Technology based policies and procedures; oversees implementation and monitoring of said procedures
- Oversee facility management and maintenance to ensure office is well maintained, organized and retains a professional appearance. Plan and direct the office layout, space utilization, renovations, office moves, selection, purchase, delivery and arrangement of office furnishings and accessories; work with department heads to insure an efficient and effective work environment; work with vendors/contractors to establish cost estimates and deadlines.
- Review and maintain tenant lease arrangements; assist with renewals and originating leases.
- Provide for equipment and software maintenance agreements to ensure adequate equipment or application support.
Additional Duties included but not limited to:
Such other duties as may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS/BA degree in Accounting or Finance required (MBA or CPA preferred)
- 10 + Years in accounting experience working in a CPA , Law or professional service firm is preferred
- Working knowledge of manual and automated accounting systems, well-developed financial analysis capabilities, and demonstrated ability to manage microcomputer operations and applications.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, and flexible.
- Ability to operate independently and 'self-manage' projects.
- Sound administrative skills. Well-developed management skills.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive, but able to recognize and support the partners' preferences and priorities.
- Results and profit oriented with the ability to balance other business considerations.
- Strong analytical and reasoning abilities.
- Participative management style, advocates team concept.
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with normal activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite products
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet with frequent interruptions. The employee continuously interacts with staff and/or clients. Travel may be necessary to various client or business sites for delivery of work product. Occasional overtime is required throughout the year. Additional policies may be put into effect during busy season, i.e., no vacation or non-emergency-related personal time away from the office. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties.
The information contained in job description is for compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Brown Smith Wallace is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by the law. Brown Smith Wallace is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
Meet Some of Brown Smith Wallace's Employees
Jessi works to serve clients in accomplishing vital business tasks—whether that’s testing, documentation, tax compliance, or identifying areas of risk— with exceptional professionalism, excellence, and integrity.
Back to top