Senior Scientist, Predictive Sciences
- San Diego, CA
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
We seek a talented and collaborative computational researcher to drive the effort in drug target identification, mechanism of action characterization and drug combination prediction using state-of-art machine learning and predictive modeling approaches.
The successful applicant is expected to play a scientific role in leveraging innovative computational analysis strategies across a variety of biological and chemical data sources to empower data-driven decisions in development of next generation BMS protein homeostasis therapies for oncology indications.
Reporting to the Predictive Sciences Lead for Oncogenesis research, the successful candidate will work alongside BMS colleagues in the Oncogenesis Thematic Research Center (TRC) and Chemistry & Structural Biology based in San Diego California, and the global Informatics & Predictive Sciences (IPS) department.
Scientific objectives and research scenarios include:
- Multivariate pattern recognition and mapping between molecular profiles of compound effects and disease phenotypes
- Inference of synergistic target combinations by leveraging multi-omics characterization of diseases, loss-of-function screens and molecular networks.
Data originate from a wide range of cellular and molecular profiling platforms, including transcriptomic, proteomic, genomic, functional and immunophenotypic assays, and from the efforts of colleagues in structural biology and cheminformatics.
The role offers the opportunity to directly impact the delivery of transformational therapies in key diseases of unmet medical need. Strong interest in the inter-disciplinary application of computational analysis methods to life sciences data is imperative.
Working in collaboration with computational, biological and drug discovery scientists across the BMS Research & Early Development organization, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Accelerate cutting edge predictive computational research in drug discovery utilizing new technologies, model systems and the power of machine learning
- Develop and apply innovative computational analysis to leverage internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven decisions for new target prioritization and validation.
- Collaborate as a member of cross functional teams to drive rational decision making across early drug discovery programs.
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results and conclusions to publishable standard.
- Contribute to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and commercial research groups worldwide.
Background experience & complementary knowledge
- Ph.D. in computational biology, bioinformatics, or related field from a recognized higher-education establishment.
- 4+ years of experience in applying quantitative approaches to solve biological problems in university, hospital, pharma or biotech research environments, with considerable depth of experience in cancer genomics.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate heterogeneous data sources and perform multivariate analysis of integrated datasets.
- Proven expertise in the development and/or implementation of algorithms to distill, analyze and interpret complex datasets.
- Experience of computational biology research on a wide variety of molecular profiling platforms, including mRNA profiling, mutational profiling, DNA copy number quantification, epigenetic profiling and proteomics.
- Familiar with various cancer genomics consortium efforts, tools and databases.
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation, statistical programming and data manipulation, using e.g. R/Bioconductor and contemporary, open-source bioinformatics tools and database structures.
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications in top-tier scientific journals.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Back to top