At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
In Non-clinical Research and Development (NCRD), Discovery Pharmaceutics & Analytical Sciences (DPAS), you will have the ability to impact the lives of patients by working with multi-disciplinary research teams to help discover novel, efficacious and safe therapeutic molecules. BMS is looking for a motivated scientist with a desire to contribute in the fast-paced discovery matrix environment by applying drug delivery concepts and designing formulation strategies to enable desired exposure for preclinical studies. The ideal candidate would have a good understanding of physicochemical properties of new chemical entities as they relate to drug delivery and oral absorption.
The successful applicant will be primarily responsible for the following:
- Ability to conduct and interpret preformulation studies on potential new drug candidates with the purpose to interpret physicochemical and biopharmaceutical properties relevant to drug delivery
- Provide experimental/computational/predictive input to drug discovery scientists during screening of new chemical entities, and enable drug design from lead optimization to the point of candidate identification, characterization and selection
- Strategically design and guide the development of formulations suitable for use in drug discovery pharmacology studies, PK studies and initial toxicology studies
- Participate in and drive strategic direction of the Discovery Pharmaceutics and Analytical Sciences group to further its ability to act as a problem solving entity for discovery teams and provide seamless transfer of candidates to development
- Advance the abilities of the larger preclinical optimization organization to develop expertise in scientific areas which can enable our understanding the role of physicochemical properties in overall biopharmaceutical performance with an emphasis on modeling (i.e. GastroPlus)
- PhD with 0-5 years of experience in industry in Pharmaceutical / Medicinal / Physical / Analytical Chemistry, or academic equivalent, is required
- An understanding of preformulation aspects for new chemical entities is necessary along with ability to guide the generation and interpretation of preformulation laboratory data as it relates to the overall discovery process
- Good written and verbal communication skills are a must
- Excellent interpersonal skills demonstrating effectiveness as a team player on multidisciplinary teams resourced in a flexible and global environment is required
- Knowledge on use of computers and databases for data collection, compilation, analysis, and information dissemination is a must
- Experience with GastroPlus is desired but not essential
Why You Should Apply
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.