At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Sr Principal Scientist - Genomic Biomarker and Translational Assays
The Tumor Microenvironment Thematic Research Center (TME TRC) is focused on developing therapeutic targets at the intersection of tumor, stromal and immune biology within the TME with the goal of enhancing responsiveness to checkpoint blockade and targeted therapies. Comprising of scientists across multiple disciplines we are responsible for the biology and translational science necessary to support drug development from target identification through to first in human studies.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual to join the formed Genomics biomarker team within the Translational Development Group at Bristol Myers Squibb (Redwood City, CA) TME TRC. This team is responsible for all genomics-based biomarker assays from program inception (early discovery) through First in Human studies, in alignment with clinical development objectives, as well as clinic-ready patient selection, target engagement, MoA/pharmacodynamics biomarker assays for the TME TRC programs. The data generated from this team will influence a broad array of decisions around dose optimization, indication prioritization, and potential drug combinations. The candidate will interact and collaborate with scientists within Translational Development, Clinical Development, Discovery, Translational Bioinformatics, and our external business partners both Academic and CRO.
The successful candidate must be able to set and understand priorities in a local and matrixed environment, must be a team player with a collaborative spirit, and capable of building and maintaining networks within and outside the organization. The candidate must have a strong background in genomics and its application in translational/clinical programs as well as experience with and understanding of tumor immuno-oncology related disciplines.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead a small team of ~2-4 scientists to drive the adaptation, execution, integration and validation of cutting-edge genomics-based assay technologies (e.g. NGS, WES/WGS, single-cell RNAseq, gene expression profiling, etc.) and analysis to characterize models and targets, and to identify and develop translational biomarkers in the immuno/oncology setting.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in genomics and genomic bioassays who will oversee experimental design and execution of genomics studies to support preclinical efforts (including early biomarker identification and model characterization) and early clinical stage stage efforts including contracting, bioassay validations, logistical operations, sample processing and data generation of genomics-based assays for use in first-in-human studies.
- Work collaboratively with Translational Development colleagues to develop genomics biomarker strategic plans, assay development and validation proposals for first-inhuman clinical studies
- Work collaboratively with Discovery teams to enable genomic-based analysis of early stage targets and models, including selection of appropriate assays/technologies
- Oversee all aspects of an out-sourced (CRO) work package in support of discovery and translational projects and serve as SME to the Biomarker strategy group.
- Closely interact with the RWC Integrative and Predictive Sciences group of bioinformaticians to develop strong analysis plan.
- Write SOP, validation plans, final reports, presentations and publications summarizing data.
- Effectively collaborate in highly matrixed organization to drive the advancement of therapeutic candidates.
- Actively participate in internal and external scientific meetings through presentations and critical evaluation of both internal results and emerging scientific literature.
- PhD in molecular biology or related discipline with at least 8 years of experience in hands on industry, contract research organization, or pharma setting is required in oncology.
- Experience in mentoring scientists, and a proven ability to build an effective organization by attracting, retaining and developing high-caliber scientists.
- Prior line management experience
- Subject matter expert in the development and validation, troubleshooting, reviewing QC run and implementation of assays using various advanced technologies that may not be currently in clinical use.
- Technical expertise with molecular technologies, including but not limited to: NGS, single cell NGS, biofluid analysis, quantitative real-time PCR, digital PCR, gene expression profiling such as NanoString, as well as cutting edge genomics technologies
- Understanding of fit for purpose genomics assay validation principles for clinical assays.
- CRO experience, knowledge of CLIA/GCLP practices is a plus, but not required.
- Excellent organization skills and familiarity with a fast-paced work environment.
- Collaborative spirit and ability to thrive in a matrixed environment
- Ability to clearly communicateand operate in a highly matrixed environment
- Proven track record of handling multiple high priority tasks in parallel with internal and external collaborators
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience with Excel and PowerPoint.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.