Senior Director, Business Development, Transactions (Hematology & Cell Therapy)
- Princeton, NJ
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Expected Areas of Competence
The Business Development/Transactions candidate will possess strong business acumen with experience in the life sciences and biopharmaceutical industry. An understanding of the deal making process in the industry is required as the candidate will lead transaction related activities for both licensing and M&A, while supporting Search & Evaluation (S&E) activities. The candidate is required to have strong interpersonal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to facilitate highly visible and time-sensitive business development projects. Furthermore, the candidate will provide transaction support in running business and commercial analyses and leadership in negotiation and contracting of licensing, acquisition of private companies, and other collaboration opportunities for preclinical, clinical, and marketed compounds in support of BMS strategy and objectives.
- Demonstrate leadership and business acumen while collaborating closely with internal S&E, Enterprise Strategy, R&D, Finance, and Commercial stakeholders and potential external partners.
- Serve as thought partner to facilitate formulation of Hematology and Cell Therapy strategy for their focus area while driving the execution of external business development elements.
- Efficiently lead cross-functional team meetings and communicate updates to leadership.
- Partner with the senior S&E team and therapeutic area leads, on the delivery of business assessments and recommendations of external opportunities, including deal proposals, valuation, deal status, and key issues of the transaction to BMS governance bodies for endorsement.
- Responsible for coordinating team meetings, preparing agendas, and minutes for various BD related transaction teams as needed.
- Lead participation in in BD external partnering events (JPM, BIO, BIO EU, BMS Partnering Days etc.) and technical / scientific meetings, including preparing materials such as presentations, FAQ and related documents.
- Lead and support Commercial/Financial Assessment:
- Support project team interactions with functional representatives
- Provide insights to the commercial and financial evaluation process, assumptions and outputs
- Lead and manage the development and drafting of project team deliverables and recommendations
- Ensure robustness of the overall Commercial/Financial Assessment
- Recommend/develop proposed deal structure and terms for transaction with low level of complexity, utilizing an in depth knowledge industry deal making trends.
- Facilitate negotiating, contracting, and executing complex deals (e.g., CDAs, MTAs, term sheets, complex collaborations, license agreements, acquisition of companies, and other strategic alliances).
- Lead or assist in negotiating partnerships and communicate key deal issues, risks, and updates to leadership and senior internal stakeholders, including collaborating with Transaction Legal in drafting and revising term sheet and contracts.
- Present to senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage and coach direct reports as applicable.
- MBA, JD, or other advanced business degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of experience within Pharma and Biotech and minimum of 3 years of relevant Transactions experience exemplified by the execution of business development transactions with a significant number of closed deals, with at least a few significant closed deals (deal sheet required).
- Ability to analyze and understand sales forecasts, P&Ls, risk analyses, and company valuations; strong understanding of discounted cash flow, net present value, internal rates of return and risk analysis techniques. Able to integrate scientific knowledge into business model.
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects efficiently with a high degree of independence.
- Prior Pharma and Biotech experience (preferably in commercial and business functions).
Knowledge & Skills Desired
- Competent in Pharma product evaluations.
- Strong working knowledge of pharmaceutical industry issues, trends, and their business impact.
- Subject matter expert in the licensing/business development process and landscape. Good understanding of the drug development, approval, and commercialization process.
- Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills.
- Able to communicate effectively with senior management internally and externally.
- Competence in reviewing and editing contracts and providing direction to Legal in term sheets and contracts.
- Ability to influence analysis undertaken by other functions.
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skills.
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner.
- Works well with and exerts influence on multi-disciplinary teams. Facilitates candid dialogue and cross-functional collaboration.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Back to top