Scientist/Engineer - Downstream
- New Brunswick, NJ
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Scientist/Engineer position in downstream process development will be responsible for conducting research and development that leads to efficient, scalable purification processes for therapeutic molecules. The Scientist/Engineer will be working in a dynamic and collaborative team environment with the opportunities to lead development and matrix teams, while enhancing our ever growing biologics portfolio
• Develop and implement scalable purification processes for large molecule drug substance (e.g. monoclonal antibodies, fusion proteins, etc.) to meet established timelines
• Design and execute downstream process development laboratory studies
• Organize and interpret results, present to matrix team and management
• Transfer developed processes from development to clinical production facilities
• Support clinical manufacturing by reviewing documents and/or using technical expertise to ensure successful manufacturing campaigns
• Author electronic notebook records, process descriptions, process development reports, and other documentation/technical reports for progression of assets and/or support of regulatory filings
Preferred Experience and Skills:
• Thorough understanding of/hands-on experience with- purification strategies including: affinity, ion exchange, hydrophobic interaction, and mixed mode chromatography; normal and tangential flow filtration, viral and depth filtration
• Experience with high throughput experimentation and mechanistic modelling is highly desirable
• Command of DoE/statistical approaches to experimental design and data analysis
• Ability to optimize processes for product purity, recovery, impurity removal, and cost reduction
• Experience with scale-up/down process models
• Ability to train others on procedures, operations, new technologies
• Knowledge of upstream process development and analytical sciences
• Experience with authoring technical documents in support of regulatory submissions
• Experience in technology transfer internally and/or external manufacturing facilities
• Sustain high level of innovative and independent research contributing to platform improvement
• Provide effective management for planning, coordinating and executing tasks and projects in a given time frame
• Outstanding communication and people skills
• Ability to foster a collaborative work environment with internal and external partners
• Experience in leading matrix teams and managing projects is desirable
• PhD in Biotechnology, Protein Chemistry, Biochemistry or Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, with minimum 2 years, or MS with minimal 4+ years, or BS with minimal 8+ years of relevant industrial experience.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Back to top