At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Position: Scientific Associate Director of DMPK
Location: San Diego, CA
We are seeking a highly enthusiastic, motivated, exceptional scientist as a Scientific Associate Director of DMPK in drug discovery at our San Diego site. The role is in the Pharmaceutical Candidate Optimization (PCO) department that encompasses broad support for Discovery programs with expertise in DMPK, toxicology, pharmaceutics and bioanalytical sciences.
- Provide subject matter expertise on absorption, distribution, metabolism and excretion (ADME) for Discovery programs
- Responsible for designing mechanistic in vitro and in vivo studies to understand and resolve issues to drive discovery efforts
- Work collaboratively to contribute to program science and strategy across the Discovery portfolio, with potential collaborations at our Redwood City, CA, Princeton, NJ and Cambridge, MA sites
- Supervise a small group of research associates (3-5)
Qualifications & Experience
- Ph.D. in pharmacokinetics, drug metabolism, medicinal chemistry or related discipline with a minimum of 10 years of relevant industrial experience
- Proven level of evidence of leadership in DMPK science and proven track record of scientific achievement through project influence and publication
- Experience with small molecule DMPK strategies is essential, and experience with biologics or other novel modalities is desired
- A general understanding of PK/PD concepts and their applications to assessment of the pharmacologic profile of modalities is required, along with the ability to integrate data from multiple sources to understand the drug disposition of a molecule
- Strong ability to collaborate and build strong relationships with other disciplines in PCO (discovery toxicology and Discovery pharmaceutics and bioanalytical research) for issue resolution and program advancement is essential
- Be a good mentor for junior or non-ADME scientists
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Why You Should Apply
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.