Director, Strategy & Business Operations - Cell Therapy
- Seattle, WA
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Cell Therapy is one of the most groundbreaking new forms of cancer treatments being studied today. With therapies only in their infancy and BMS's continued investment in our Cell Therapy capabilities, the growth potential of this science, your career, and the ability to help patients are incredible.
Come and join the Cell & Gene Therapy Team in BMS that is leading the way to develop novel cell & gene therapy products.
Cell Therapy Technical Development plays a critical role in development of novel engineered cell therapies, including both autologous and allogeneic products. Technical Development is comprised of both Process Science & Technology (PS&T) and Product & Analytical Development (P&AD). The Director, Strategy & Business Operations (S&BO) will report to both the Vice President of Cell Therapy Process Science & Technology (PS&T) and Cell Therapy Product & Analytical Development (P&AD) and is a key leadership role within BMS Cell Therapy Development and Operations (CTDO) Division and will serve in the matrixed S&BO network.
The role will operate strategically and a high degree of independence to develop and conduct primary planning, tracking, governance, communications and other business operations within the multi-site network of approximately ~300 scientists and engineers. The role will work with both the PS&T and P&AD leadership teams and other business operations partner within CTDO to develop and implement connected business processes to drive efficiency and successful timely outcomes throughout the PS&T and P&AD organizations. This role will be the key interface with Finance, building resource models to enable portfolio management. This role will have visibility across CTDO and interface with other Director and higher-level counterpart roles as functional leaders, will have exposure to strategic and sensitive information and requires the role to operate with high level of discretion and judgment in managing information.
The key focus areas for the roles are below:
- Develop Technical Development resource models and execute scenario planning analyses to support portfolio optimization.
- Develop and execute Technical Development project portfolio:This includes developing a holistic project portfolios, tracking mechanisms and alignment with interface functions.
- Develop and execute Technical Development Goal Setting and Reporting Process:This includes linking functional goals with CTDO and corporate goals; and reporting goals both functionally and cross-functionally.
- Develop and implement Technical Development Communication Plans:This includes managing functional communications, quarterly business reviews, and annual innovation summits.
- Develop and manage long range plans and budgets: This includes working with PS&T and P&AD LT members to develop goals, long range plans, developing tools and methodology to interface with Finance.
The duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
All the detailed duties necessary to fulfill the scope outlined in the above key focus areas are in the scope of this role. The specific list of duties will evolve over time within the stated scope above. In addition to the duties highlighted within the key focus areas, additional duties include:
- Develop and maintain a long-range plan for Technical Development, this includes the 3-year operating plan, space and laboratory projections, capital projections, and annual budgets
- Create mechanism to capture/track and drive cost-saving, cost-avoidance initiatives to drive a better understanding of the value of various projects and in turn use this understanding to refine prioritization.
- Develop annual goals and KPIs, track and report. Ensure goals take into account multiple inputs such as CMC and TCT teams product life cycle goals, technology roadmap goals, manufacturing site needs and functional priorities.
- Support tracking of functional budgets to ensure visibility of plan vs. actual spend. Create mechanism to capture/track and drive cost-saving, cost-avoidance initiatives to drive a better understanding of the value of various projects and in turn use this understanding to refine prioritization.
- Develop standard resource models to drive long term staffing projections. Reconcile actual Vs planned staffing numbers.
- Develop and maintain Technical Development roadshow materials for recruiting, introductions internally and externally
- Manage external interactions including staff conference plans, contract resources administration, confidentiality agreements, consulting agreements, external services
- Working with the leadership team, develop and maintain a recruiting plan. Develop on-boarding materials and ensure mechanisms to smooth on-boarding. Develop and maintain role-based training curriculum for staff and track adherence to plan
- Establish best practice sharing and knowledge management mechanism, platform
- Establish a Technical Development Share Point or intranet site that promotes timely communications and sharing of information within and outside of Technical Development. Drive communications within and external to Technical Development (monthly updates, people and organizational announcements, other business updates, etc.)
- Facilitate the PS&T and P&AD leadership team meetings. Ensure effective decision making, action item follow up.
- Support talent management and promotion process as needed.
- Define and track business performance metrics as well as indicators and predictors of overall workload
- Act as a single point of contact within Technical Development for collaboration with all business ops counterparts in CTDO
- Drive Operational Excellence within P&AD and PS&T and matrix teams, applying Operation Excellence methodology and leveraging OE resources within BMS as needed
- Sponsor productivity initiatives within P&AD and PS&T to improve efficiency to win at the interface
- Bachelor's degree in a life sciences or Engineering discipline and 10 plus years of relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry
- Experience should include combination of both in technical/scientific functions and Business Operations/Project Management
- Previous experience working with budgets and financial models is highly desirable
- Strong leadership track record especially in the areas of leading in a global and matrix environment, working cross functionally and evidence of strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills at all levels in the organization
- Biologics or Cell Therapy experience
If you want to challenge yourself, accelerate your career, and give new hope to patients, there's no better place than here with our Cell Therapy team. Full of incredible and dedicated team members, those working on CAR-T and other forms of Cell Therapy are transforming patients' lives through science. From studying individualized cell lines to making brand new discoveries, this bold and personal discipline allows you to grow your career while making a lasting impact on the field of medicine. Join us today.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Back to top