Director, Drug Development Project Management
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
TheDirector levelProject Managerpartners with the Development Program Lead (DPL)to lead theDevelopment Program Team (DPT)to successfully shape and execute the project and drug development strategies, as well asappropriatelifecycle planning.The Project Manager provides an independent voice to shape the project strategy and drive optimal decisions for the broader portfolio value.The Project Manager is accountable for the cross-functional execution ofoneormore integrated development plans including management oftimelines, cost, quality, and risk mitigation.This position can be assigned to any therapeutic area andwillwork on projectsprimarilyinlatedevelopment (post-Proof of Conceptthrough marketed phase).The level of the role with be commensurate with the selected candidate.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- The Project Manager leads project management for one or more DPTsfocused on our most complex, and high priority programs. In this capacity, they may provide oversight to other PMsworking on those programs.
- Partners with theDevelopment Program Lead(DPL)to foster a high performing team and monitor the health and operating efficiency of the team as a unit.May serve as the delegate for the DPLwithin the team and at governance when needed.
- Effectively influences across all levels and functions within the organizationand mayhave a high degree of senior leadership interaction based on the program needs.
- Acts as an integratorwithin the Development Program Team(DPT)and across the enterprise to ensure alignment and connect best practicesfor programswhich have established initial proof of conceptand are developing towards registration ofthe initial or subsequent indications.
- Facilitateseffective, science-based businessdecisions includingdevelopment of scenarios as needed. Ensures all decisions are assessed as to their impacts and communicated to stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner.
- Coaches project team members and others to drive excellence and accountability,as well asdevelop talent pipeline for DPT membership.
- Highlights interdependencies and downstream impacts of strategic decisions.
- Proactively identifies risks andensuresmitigationplans are implemented.
- Develops and coordinates resource planning across functions to assure adequate resources are applied to the project.
- Advise on governance expectations with focus on cross-functional input and rigorous debate.
- Acts as a changeagent for continuous improvement and transformational initiativesboth within Project Management.
- For projects that are being jointly developed, works closely with a key strategic alliance partner.
- Leads creation of team norms and operating principles with a focus on cross-functional input and accountability, and robust analysis of vetted options.
- Acts a leader in the PM organization to help build cross-portfolio capability by sharing best practices, connecting across the portfolio,shaping future direction of the Project Management organization,and coaching more junior PMs.
- Bachelor's degreein Life Sciences,Physical sciencesor relevant discipline, advanced degree preferred
- Five(5)or more years of demonstrated drug development project management experiencewith 7+years ofrelevantexperience in the pharmaceutical industry
- Highly proficient in PM skills and serves as a resource to train/coach less experienced PMs-drivingexecutionon assigned programswhile balancing speed, quality, and cost.
- Has expertise in most aspects of drug development including Health Authority interactions, e.g., to support a registration program.
- Breadth of drug development expertisewith solid understanding of projectinterdependenciesand disease content to contribute to strategic discussions
- Strong communicator able to integrate and succinctly summarize the various parts of a project and effectively tailor messages to audience incl. senior leaders
- Broad range of leadership skills including situational leadership and ability to influence without authority
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a cross-functional environment
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations
- Ability to lead the development of critical path analyses and support scenario planningto achieve goals/timelines
- Ideally,will have experience with operational study start-up into Registrational/Phase 3 trials with a deep understanding of the necessary steps required for NDA/BLA submissions in the US,EUand Japan for marketing approval.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Back to top