Associate Director, Translational Oncology Research
- Cambridge, MA
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The new Bristol-Myers Squibb research site in Cambridge's Kendall Square will help us continue to deliver on our mission, positioningthe company and our scientists in the heart of a vibrant ecosystem of world-class science, innovation and business opportunities.
The Mechanisms of Cancer Resistance Thematic Research Center at BMS is one of the fundamental research and early development engines delivering oncology therapeutics to patients. The scientists at this state-of-the-art research and development site in Cambridge focus on novel tumor intrinsic targets and pathways for tumors that are refractory to current Immuno-Oncology and Oncology therapies, and implement our discovery platforms across all of our therapeutic areas of focus. We are a fully integrated drug discovery through translational and early clinical development organization which exploits state-of-the-art in vitro, in vivo and ex-vivo models of cancer biology to identify and validate targets. We partner closely with colleagues in Translational Medicine, Informatics and Predictive Sciences and Early Clinical Development to generate biomarker and patient enrichment hypotheses to enable efficient decision making in early clinical trials. We are optimally positioned to complement the world-class translational expertise, biology and leading academic research centers in the area.
Associate Director (AD), Translational Research, Mechanisms of Cancer Resistance Thematic Research Center (MoCR, TRC)
We are seeking an experienced individual with deep translational expertise to join the Translational Research team within the Mechanisms of Cancer Resistance Thematic Research Center (MoCR TRC) at Bristol-Myers Squibb in Cambridge, MA. The qualified candidate is highly motivated, interactive, and creative and has the ability to work across a highly matrixed organization to advance programs from lead initiating/optimization through IND enabling activities and ultimately to Clinical Proof of Concept.
This individual will be asset-based translational lead and be accountable/responsible for delivering and executing on translational and biomarker strategies for MoCR TRC programs. This individual will bring deep scientific experience with emphasis on oncology biomarkers, in depth knowledge of oncology & clinical development, and expertise in matrix-based management. This individual will deliver biomarker and translational strategies from lead optimization through clinical Proof Concept, including creating/running assays for target engagement, pharmacodynamic (PD) markers, and patient enrichment strategies.
Detailed Position Responsibilities
- Establish and execute well-crafted translational and biomarker strategies for development candidates within the MoCR TRC, focused on clinic-ready patient enrichment, target engagement and pharmacodynamic biomarker assays.
- Lead biomarker scientist(s) and act as point-of-contact cross functional groups, including small molecule drug discovery, translational medicine, early clinical development and project leadership to deliver high-quality biomarker plan.
- Provide scientific input and review biomarker aspects of early clinical development plans, clinical study reports and regulatory documents.
- Lead efforts on data generation, interpretation and communication..
- Find new ways to support biomarker plans, to enable early understanding of lead molecules, as they move from discovery through early development
- Ensure that biomarker plans meet established program standards (within budget, on schedule, compliance, etc.)
- Communicate key biomarker program information, risks, and milestones, within team and continues to define, revise and progress biomarker plans as projects progress
- Contribute to due diligence efforts relating to possible external collaborations
- PhD, MD, or MD/PhD or equivalent advanced biology degree with at least 8 years of industry experience in oncology drug discovery and development
- Demonstrated scientific acumen and mechanistic understanding of disease biology
- Experience in oncology and immuno-oncology drug development (small molecule and biologics).
- Experience in the design and generation of clinic-ready biomarker assays in oncology.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to recognize, articulate, and accept calculated risks to make informed decisions
- Demonstrated ability to lead others through change by navigating ambiguity, providing context, and engaging individuals.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where speed is paramount
- Demonstrated experience in appropriate application of various scientific technologies into translational research strategies
- Demonstrated ability to effectively influence stakeholders in a dynamic, matrixed organization
- Ability to grow new leaders and delegate key projects appropriately.
- Working knowledge of all functional areas of drug development. Experience in companion diagnostic a plus.
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
Back to top