Learning Specialist Elementary School 2021-2022 School Year
- The Bronx, NY
Brilla Public Charter Schools Learning Specialist
About Brilla Public Charter Schools
Brilla Public Charter Schools is a network of elementary and middle schools that currently serve over 1,360 students from the Mott Haven and University Heights area and surrounding neighborhoods in the Bronx. We plan to grow our network from our five current campuses to eight over the next decade, reaching some 3,200 students in the Bronx. Brilla Public Charter Schools aims to empower their scholars and community through an innovative approach that combines co-teaching practices and blended learning, with core elements of a classical education - helping students know and appreciate Truth, Beauty, and Goodness. Brilla Public Charter Schools focus on teaching the whole child, instilling a deep sense of character through the Core Virtues of courage, justice, wisdom, and self-control, while setting a high bar for academic performance and teaching content that has withstood the test of time. Brilla’s commitment to holistic child development is paralleled with its commitment to creating a joyful community for families and staff. In order to achieve results for students, Brilla staff model the intellectual and social competencies Brilla Public Charter Schools desire for all of their scholars to become young men and women of good character and spirit, and to be prepared for excellence in high school, college and beyond.
The primary responsibility of the Learning Specialist is to support a range of students across 1-2 grade levels in literacy and/or math. Supervised by the Student Services Leader, the Learning Specialist plays a unique role as a collaborator with teachers on various teams, as a family liaison, and as a small group and individual instructor of students with varying learning needs. Learning Specialists help every child in the grades they serve and foster deep connections with their colleagues and students. Successful Learning Specialists consistently help students achieve both academically and socially - collecting, analyzing, and implementing data-based strategies regularly for both the students on their caseload and also students that have been identified as needing additional support. The Learning Specialist is in current possession of special education certification.This position requires a positive, flexible, solutions-oriented, organized, and innovative educator who aims to challenge the status quo of the current educational landscape in urban areas. Brilla Learning Specialists must have a deep passion for student-engaged learning, a desire to accept, implement, and seek feedback, and a proven ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, while inspiring outstanding achievement in children in a fun and collaborative work environment.
Core Competencies & Responsibilities
Brilla Learning Specialists Set the Standard.
- Review and scaffold instructional materials for students identified with learning needs while still maintaining the appropriate level of rigor and complexity to meet and exceed goals and standards
- Cultivate students’ higher order thinking skills, including their ability to analyze, create, synthesize, and evaluate, through differentiated instruction
- Internalize, and teach rigorous, classical curricula that adhere to national and state standards and align with Brilla’s aggressive student growth targets
- Set and uphold high academic and social expectations for all students through a strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement and ongoing child development
- Set and consistently achieve meaningful student achievement results aligned to Brilla’s mission and student goals
- Visibly live the Brilla Mission through consistent professional dress, modeling of core virtues, execution of professional norms, and enthusiastic, regular engagement in ongoing professional development and community-building
- Create a joyful learning environment that honors the dignity of all scholars while still pushing them to achieve more than they think possible
Brilla Learning Specialists Honor the Team.
- Provide applicable strategies and resources for classroom teachers to improve the learning outcomes of students who receive differentiated services
- Support students with differentiated learning needs by providing push-in and pull-out supports to improve student achievement outcomes
- Forge and maintain productive, collaborative, and collegial working relationships with leaders, co-teacher(s), other teachers, staff members, parents, and community members
- Contribute to a positive classroom and school culture and environment through consistent implementation of behavior management strategies, attendance at Brilla-sponsored Culture Events, and regular, professional communication
- Attend regular, mission-critical programming including summer development sessions, data days, parent workshops parent-teacher conferences, and other opportunities
- Commit to be available by phone after school hours until 7:00pm each workday to address any student or family questions or concerns (cell phone provided by school)
- Perform other duties as assigned
Brilla Learning Specialists Make it Count.
- With support from the Student Services Leader and in conjunction with the Committee for Special Education set aggressive, measurable student goals and regularly evaluate student progress towards mastery
- Reflect on and analyze student academic and character achievement in order to inform and differentiate instruction
- Maintain accurate and complete student files and academic records
- Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds
- Organize and manage time and commitments efficiently to maximize productivity and intentionality throughout the school day and school year
Brilla Learning Specialists Know It Starts with Them.
- Create and revise high quality Individual Education Plans for students receiving special education services
- Embody courage, justice, wisdom, and self-control, while championing a positive, flexible attitude and solution-based approach to challenges
- Reflect and seek to understand both individual strengths and areas for growth, committing to continuous personal growth and professional development as an individual, teacher, mentor, and leader
- Challenge assumptions and beliefs about teaching and learning in order to best meet the needs of students and the mission of the organization
- Seek to grow both professionally and personally as an educator of students with varying learning needs by deepening content mastery, independently reading current literature, and improving in pedagogy
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited institution
- Possession of current special education teaching certification required
- Possession of ESL or ELL teaching certification a plus
- Relevant urban, elementary teaching experience with demonstrated student results preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Spanish language proficiency a plus
Powered by JazzHR
Back to top