Sr. Controls Engineer
Nashville, Tenn.-based Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest tire and rubber company. Bridgestone Americas and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture and market a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires to address the needs of a broad range of customers, including consumers, automotive and commercial vehicle original equipment manufacturers, and those in the agricultural, forestry and mining industries.
The companies are also engaged in retreading operations throughout the Western Hemisphere and produce air springs, roofing materials, and industrial fibers and textiles. The Bridgestone Americas family of companies also operates the world’s largest chain of automotive tire and service centers.
Guided by its One Team, One Planet message, the company is dedicated to achieving a positive environmental impact in all of the communities it calls home.
Bridgestone Americas, one of the world’s leading tire manufacturers, has a job opportunity for a Sr. Controls Engineer in Nashville, Tennessee supporting the Process System Development department. This position will be responsible for the design, installation, and continuous improvement of machine controls to maximize safety, quality, and operating efficiency across our tire manufacturing facilities. Strong project management and PLC programming skills are required. Experience with Allen-Bradley PLCs, HMIs, VFDs and power distribution equipment is desired. This position is also responsible to support maintenance as needed.
- Responsible for electrical expertise in single/multiple areas of the plant.
- Responsible for maintaining the plant's high voltage electrical distribution.
- Provide technical support to internal customers.
- Manage major projects such as New Machine installation, upgrades, etc. The projects range from $100K to $5M.
- Lead continuous improvement and corrective action activities & projects.
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for any activities.
- Analyze project requirements, identify and address design parameters, engineering challenges and ensure solutions are implemented accurately, timely and within budget.
- Create and finalize designs to meet project scope of work and safety requirements, Bill of Materials and spare part requirements.
- Work closely with Automation Vendors and Manage External Contractors on Installations.
- Engineering drawing development.
- Hardware purchasing and panel build.
- PLC and HMI programming, VFDs, Control System Networking & Systems integration
- Machine commissioning, start up, and check-out.
- Maintaining the plant's high voltage electrical distribution.
- Oversee project workflow and support internal and external resources to ensure on-time delivery of projects, meeting quality standards and within budget.
- Electrical, software design for automation and safety systems. Able to maintain project scope/schedule and identify project creep.
- Create documentation such as Training documents, Program backup, Network diagrams, Electrical drawings, etc.
- Ability to architect programs that are simple to test, well documented and versatile.
- Work with Cross Functional Team for successful Trials & Qualification
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (or similar related degree) & 5+ years related job experience.
- Strong fundamental knowledge of industrial controls and electrical systems.
- Critical thinking with exceptional problem solving skills, able to work independently and in team environments.
- Proactive, resourceful & highly motivated with good communication skills and ability to work in high output environment.
- Team player with the ability to contribute in a matrix environment.
- Experience in writing/developing/programming PLCs and controls design
- Experience with specifying, installing, start-up and operation of VFDs and D/C drives including Allen-Bradley, Mitsubishi, Siemens, and General Electric
- Working knowledge of Ethernet IP communications, power distribution equipment including sizing transformers, electrical feeders, and distribution gear for equipment loads from 120 up to 13,800 volts.
Meet Some of Bridgestone Americas's Employees
We really have adoped the mission statement of serving society with superior quality. Obviously we're a business and we still have to provide a fair return to our shareholders, but we believe our responsibility is so much greater than that.
Back to top