Section Manager, Advanced Analytical
Bridgestone’s Product Development Group in Akron, Ohio, is part of Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations (BATO), a business unit of Bridgestone Americas, Inc. Reporting into the BATO business unit are the company’s North American consumer tire businesses, the North American commercial tire businesses, and Latin American tire operations (consumer and commercial). In our new state-of-the-art technical center in Akron, Ohio, we endeavor to provide teammates with challenging assignments, a flexible work schedule, and opportunities to learn and grow in an innovative and collaborative culture.
Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest tire and rubber company. Bridgestone Americas and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture, and market a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone, and associate brand tires to address the needs of a broad range of customers, including consumers, automotive and commercial vehicle original equipment manufacturers, and those in the agricultural, forestry and mining industries.
The companies are also engaged in retreading operations throughout the Western Hemisphere and produce air springs, roofing materials, and industrial fibers and textiles. The Bridgestone Americas family of companies also operates the world’s largest chain of automotive tire and service centers.
Guided by its One Team, One Planet message, the company is dedicated to achieving a positive environmental impact in all of the communities it calls home.
Bridgestone Americas Center for Research and Technology is currently seeking an experienced Research Scientist to lead an interdisciplinary team of scientists and engineers working to solve problems at the leading edge of tire technology. This is a fast paced and collaborative role where innovative contribution is encouraged and expected. This position is based in Akron, Ohio and primarily focuses on leading a team charged with developing new materials for tire and other diversified products within the Bridgestone family. Scientists work in a multidisciplinary environment collaborating with scientists, researchers, and engineers at the three major Bridgestone Technical Centers in Akron, Tokyo, and Rome.
- Oversee a multidisciplinary environment collaborating with a team of scientists and engineers to develop, optimize and scale up the production of new polymers and other materials for tire as well as non-tire applications.
- Establish and manag budgets, manpower, and other resources within contractual restraints and corporate policy.
- Initiate, plan, manage, and execute analytical chemistry research and technical service support to internal and external customers.
- Provide analytical chemistry and measurement science expertise to Bridgestone R&D teams and customers.
- Conduct technical meetings for the CTO, Director of R&D, and other management.
- Provide direct supervision to assigned staff. Mentor and coach staff to achieve maximum performance levels and company goals.
- Perform employee performance appraisals establishing goals and areas of improvement.
- Promote talent development throughout the organization.
- Ph.D. in Material Science, Chemistry, Physics, or a related technical discipline in Chemistry or other Science related disciplines and 5+ years of related, progressive experience.
- Strong leadership and developmental skills.
- Ability to independently lead research combining advanced analytical method development with material science, polymer science, and tire technology needs.
- Experience involving polymers is not required, but beneficial.
- Solid academic training with creative and strong problem-solving abilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate with others are essential skills for this position.
Meet Some of Bridgestone Americas's Employees
Courtney oversees every aspect of energy efficiency at BSA’s tire manufacturing facilities, conducting surveys to identify savings opportunities and new project possibilities.
Back to top