Nashville, Tenn.-based Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation, the world’s largest tire and rubber company. Bridgestone Americas and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture and market a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand tires to address the needs of a broad range of customers, including consumers, automotive and commercial vehicle original equipment manufacturers, and those in the agricultural, forestry and mining industries.
The companies are also engaged in retreading operations throughout the Western Hemisphere and produce air springs, roofing materials, and industrial fibers and textiles. The Bridgestone Americas family of companies also operates the world’s largest chain of automotive tire and service centers.
Guided by its global corporate social responsibility (CSR), commitment Our Way to Serve, Bridgestone embraces its responsibility as a global leader by striving to improve the way people move, live, work and play.
This position, located in Des Moines, Iowa, build machine parts for the repair or assembly of equipment throughout the plant in a machine intensive, heavy industrial environment. Machinists also transport equipment, tools, and machinery to the job site as required to perform the required work.
The Machinist opening is an hourly position with a starting rate of $28.30 / hour.
Qualified candidates will be required to pass a written technical skill assessment, undergo a one-on-one technical interview, and Human Resources Interview. The work week runs Sunday through Saturday. Applicants must be able to work either day shift or night shift. Day shift is from 6 A.M. to 6 P.M. Night shift is from 6 P.M. to 6 A.M. Firestone is a continuous operations plant. Teammates must be able to work a shift schedule with 48 hours one week and 36 hours the next week.
- Works with other skilled crafts as necessary in the repair or assembly of equipment and molds in the machine shop area.
- Understands blueprints and written specifications. Uses all machinist’s hand tools and machine tools including boring mill and milling machine.
- Possesses knowledge of shop mathematics, use of charts and tables, efficient planning of shop work, dimensions and use of bolts, screws, threads, and tapers.
- Is familiar with the working properties of metal and should be capable of shaping metal parts to close tolerances.
- Advises supervisor of broken parts or machinery.
- Polish, plug, vent, stamp, and other miscellaneous allied operations to repair or revise existing molds for passenger, heavy duty, A-2 tire and for bladders and flaps.
- Ability to setup, operate and adjust Bridgeport style Mills and manual lathes.
- Ability to thread, cut keyways and plan the best sequences to accomplish the jobs handed to them in a timely manner
- Must own and be able to use tools such as Calipers, micrometers, measuring scales and have your own hand tools.
- Must have the ability to setup, layout, and machine parts from blueprints, sketches or off of existing part.
High School Diploma/GED Equivalent AND
3+ years of industrial maintenance in multi-craft environment
3+ years high tech maintenance related military experience
Completed apprenticeship program & 2 year industrial maintenance experience
Candidate must possess general computer skills. Candidate must also have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, mechanical drawings, pneumatics, and hydraulic schematics, and procedure manuals.
Back to top