This position is available in the Boston, New York and San Francisco offices, please indicate your preferred office in your cover letter.
The Bridgespan Group collaborates with mission-driven leaders and organizations to accelerate breakthrough social impact. A nonprofit ourselves, we share our clients' passion for building a better world. We work directly with clients to help them achieve outstanding results. We also develop tools and insights that organizations across the social sector can use to help them more powerfully pursue their missions. Rigorous thinking and analysis and deep social sector experience are hallmarks of Bridgespan's work.
We help social sector leaders scale the impact of their organizations, build the capacity of their leadership, advance the effectiveness of their philanthropy, and accelerate their learning. We work on issues related to society's most important challenges and breaking cycles of intergenerational poverty. Our services include strategy consulting, leadership development, philanthropy advising, and developing and sharing insights.
Bridgespan is currently seeking experienced strategy consulting Managers. Managers who join Bridgespan traditionally are in good standing with a leading strategy consulting firm and join Bridgespan because of a passion to make greater social impact and a desire to work full time in the nonprofit sector. The Manager role is viewed as a senior role within the firm, a true stepping stone to Partner where consultants have developed expertise in team and client management, while developing specific thought leadership in a practice area central to Bridgespan's mission. Managers oversee the formulation and implementation of strategic recommendations to improve the performance of Bridgespan's clients. Managers build and maintain client relationships, provide leadership and supervision to case team members and assume responsibility for the analytical process by which case teams create value.
Case Team Leadership
- Identify and frame the most critical strategic and organizational issues facing Bridgespan's clients.
- Develop and manage a team workplan to ensure the highest quality, data-driven analyses and client interactions, implementation-ready solutions.
- Provide operational leadership to the case team to ensure on-time execution of key deliverables, balancing the fulfillment of team goals with the professional growth and satisfaction of individuals.
- Effectively manage the formal and informal professional development of team members through skill planning, coaching, and performance feedback.
Client Relationship Management
- Build and maintain strong, collaborative senior client relationships with respect to objectives, critical issues, work plan, implications, recommendations, potential risks/roadblocks, and implementation plan.
- Facilitate client decision making using all modes of communication: formal and informal; written and verbal (1-on-1, small group, large group presentation).
- Develop advisory relationships with clients, as well as other sector leaders, "above and beyond" the case work issues.
- Lead and contribute to firm-building initiatives as a member of the Bridgespan management team (e.g., recruiting).
- Identify and deliver knowledge insights from case experiences that will be broadly applicable to others in the sector.
- Lead the professional development of junior staff members. Participate in consensus reviews for non team members.
- Serve in various ad-hoc leadership capacities (e.g., office retreat, alumni relations, and community service activities).
- Contribute to the firm's knowledge strategy by developing and writing case studies, generating research projects from client work and serving as a subject matter resource to other case teams.
- 4 years or more of consulting experience (post graduate school) with at least 1 year as Manager, Engagement Manager, or Principal with a leading for-profit strategy consulting firm is required. If your background does not match this criteria, please consider applying for our Consultant position.
- Graduate degree from a leading institution (MBA, MPP, PhD, JD) is required.
- Significant experience in both process and project management.
- Proven ability to engage in strategic issues.
- Significant interest in the nonprofit sector.
- Outstanding analytical and quantitative skills.
- Ability to use data to drive insights.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build senior level client relationships.
- Ability to effectively supervise/manage team members.
- Ability to meet deadlines, often within very tight timeframes.
Bridgespan is committed to providing equal opportunities. We serve diverse organizations, and are committed to non-discrimination. Bridgespan will not discriminate against any employee with respect to any term or condition of employment, including but not limited to less favorable treatment, exclusion from employment or employment opportunities (including hiring, assignment, performance assessment and promotion) on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender (including pregnancy), gender identity, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, expression, veteran's status or other protected characteristic or status. We actively partner with organizations representing minority concerns and interests to build high-performing teams that mirror the communities we serve.
All company sponsored programs including training, job, social and recreational activities are required to be nondiscriminatory and all human resource practices are monitored to ensure equal opportunity.
Please note: At this time the Bridgespan Group will not sponsor any visas aside from the E3 visa. You must be eligible to work in the United States for any employer without visa sponsorship in order to be considered.
Meet Some of Bridgespan's Employees
Chief Operating Officer
Mandy ensures that Bridgespan is organizationally strong and healthy, so it is able to provide nonprofit organizations with the best advice and learning possible to live up to their missions. She oversees HR, information services, and finance.
Back to top