Special Education Teacher: Middle School/High School Self-Contained
- Newark, NJ
The BRICK Education Network’s (BEN) mission is to relentlessly knock down all barriers to students’ academic success. Our innovative model aligns an individualized excellent education with the necessary family supports to make sure each and every child can succeed. It’s our vision that each and every child will have an unimpeded path to unlocking their limitless potential.
To learn more about BRICK Education Network, please visit http://www.brickeducation.org
BRICK currently has schools in Newark, the South Bronx, and Buffalo.
To learn more about Marion P. Thomas Charter School in Newark visit mptcs.org
Marion P. Thomas Charter School (MPTCS) is the largest independently-operated free public charter school in Newark, NJ. MPTCS was established in 1999 by a group of individuals who were born and raised in Newark and wanted to provide the best possible educational experience for the next generation of Newarkers. The school is one of the only minority-led charter schools in Newark, reflecting both its student population and the community it serves. Since 1999, MPTCS l has grown from four classrooms to four campuses and now serves 1,500 students from pre-kindergarten through the 12th grade.
Role: The BRICK Education Network seeks to hire Special Education teachers that have a passionate belief in BEN’s mission and a deep desire to work with underserved students and families. The Special Education teacher must be able to show their passion and content expertise through the student lessons they create. We have two types of self-contained classrooms: Cognitive/Autism Support and Behavior Support. The ideal candidate is solution oriented, uses data to drive their instruction, has a collaborative mindset, takes and implements feedback quickly and has a sense of humility. Teachers must be willing to do whatever it takes to ensure their students’ academic success.
- Middle School
- High School
- Exemplify the BRICK core values (Faithful Commitment, Relentlessness, Compassion, Savvy Ambition, Restless Improvement and Accountability)
- Support all student learning styles
- Execute the network created unit and lesson plans to accelerate student learning
- Teach in an inclusive classroom setting as well as providing small group support
- Build a classroom community by investing in students/families and the iDream values (Innovation, Diligence, Respect, Empathy, A+ Self Control & Model Student)
- Create a positive, safe and collaborative classroom environment for students
- Remain empathetic to students’ previous experiences when observing and responding to their behavior
- Attend all department, grade and staff meeting, including regular data analysis meetings
- Collaborate with all stakeholders to share best practices
- Participate in weekly and biweekly meetings with coach and implement next steps urgently
- Track assessment data to monitor progress towards grade level goals as well as IEP goals
- Implement all modifications and accommodations for classroom and testing as well as ensuring students’ IEPs are being delivered at a high level
- Teach and enforce the school-wide systems and structures
- An unwavering commitment to the academic success and personal development of our students
- An eagerness to set ambitious, challenging, and tangible goals, and a relentless drive to achieve them
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including strong public speaking skills;
- Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s degree is preferred
- Possession of a current and valid Special Education Teacher certification issued by the New Jersey Department of Education
- Current authorization to work in the United States – A candidate must have such authorization by his or her first day of employment
Salary & Employment Period
- Salary Range: Competitive compensation package
- Full time
- Employment Period: 11 Months
- Retirement and Health Benefits are included with full time employment
BRICK Education Network is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. BRICK promotes affirmative action for minorities, women, disabled persons, and veterans.
Back to top