Software Engineer, Security
- San Francisco, CA
Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board. Building world-class financial services requires world-class security. As a software engineer on security, you will be building customer facing features, backend frameworks and internal services for the security of our users, platform and core systems. Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitions people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
We’re looking for individuals with a strong background in software engineering and interest in security that can solve high-stake challenges end to end. You should demonstrate strong communication skills, autonomy, and ability to work with a variety of stakeholders.
- Build customer facing features, services and products related to security, privacy and fraud
- Author & maintain security related libraries, frameworks and tools for internal services and operations
- Build new tools to detect fraud, vulnerabilities via static analysis, automated scanning, etc.
- Help design and review security-sensitive aspects of features and 3rd-party integrations that other teams are building
- Train new engineers and evangelize good security habits; ensure best practices (in technology or education/outreach)
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
- Collaborate with experts in product, design, and operations
What We Value:
- Enjoying being a generalist, working on both the frontend, backend, and everything in between to tackle problems and delight customers
- Defensive security experience shipping projects that mitigate application or infrastructure risks at scale
- Contributing to the open source community or security research
- Thinking about tools and services, and writing high quality code
- We work in Elixir and TypeScript, however languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Taking pride in working on projects to successful completion, involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Putting yourself in the shoes of your users, and creating an intuitive, delightful experience
- Holding yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Stitching many different services and processes together, even if you have not worked with them before
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds (we currently have around 30 nationalities represented, with more than ½ the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in)
Engineering at Brex:
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, and as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies
- We’re big fans of functional programming, especially given the effect of bugs in this space! We work closely with the Elixir community, and are always looking at increasing our open source contributions more broadly.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Engineers are expected to understand and have product input, designing systems towards our long-term product vision
- We'd rather have one strong, well-compensated engineer, instead of having 5 average engineers. Our customers are fine with fewer features, but are not ok with broken features
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors and managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful
- We believe in small, accountable and autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve our way of working
- People have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for what they’re building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up and help us get to the truth faster
Does Brex sound like home? We'd love to meet you! Please share with us details of what you've worked on and what matters to you (personally and from a technical standpoint). Don't worry too much about your resumé. Be genuine, not official.
Back to top