Software Engineer, Observability
- New York, NY
Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board.
As an Observability Engineer, you will build our Monitoring Infrastructure (Logging, Metrics, Tracing) and will work closely with the Production Engineers to provide the right tooling to measure the reliability of our systems. You will design and implement libraries, frameworks and services as well as setup best practices for all other engineering teams to build Highly-Observable Systems.
Based in New York City, our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building distributed systems, comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces, with a keen eye towards detail, and comfortable learning new technologies. Most importantly, you should be enthusiastic working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs.
- Work with engineers across the company to design and build Observable Systems.
- Design and build our Monitoring Infrastructure: Events Logging, Prometheus Metrics, Distributed Tracing, Log Stream Processing.
- Create libraries and frameworks across a variety of language (Elixir, Python, NodeJS, Go) to easily build monitoring into services other teams build.
- Own problems end-to-end, thinking through everything from system design, data modeling, scalability, operability and ongoing metrics.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
- Collaborate with experts in infrastructure, security and product engineering.
What We Value:
- Thinking about distributed systems and services, and writing high quality code.
- We work mainly in Elixir, with some services in Python, NodeJS and Go, however languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Caring about system design and building things correctly from day one, without cutting corners.
- Taking pride in working on projects to successful completion, involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Holding yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Ability to stitch many different services and processes together, even if you have not worked with them before.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds (we currently have around 30 nationalities represented, with more than ½ the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
Engineering at Brex:
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, and as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies.
- We’re big fans of functional programming, especially given the effect of bugs in this space! We work closely with the Elixir community, and are always looking at increasing our open source contributions more broadly.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Engineers are expected to understand and have product input, designing systems towards our long-term product vision.
- We'd rather have one strong, well-compensated engineer, instead of having 5 average engineers. Our customers are fine with fewer features, but are not ok with broken features.
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors and managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful.
- We believe in small, accountable and autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve our way of working.
- People have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for what they’re building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future.
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up and help us get to the truth faster.
Does Brex sound like home? We'd love to meet you! Please share with us details of what you've worked on and what matters to you (personally and from a technical standpoint). Don't worry too much about your resumé. Be genuine, not official.
Back to top