Security Engineer, Incident Response
- San Francisco, CA
Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board. Building world-class financial services requires world-class security.
As a Security Incident Response Engineer, you will be safeguarding our employees, data, systems, and infrastructure, both by proactively detecting malicious activity and reactively mitigating issues and handling incidents. You’ll also be investing in building automation for various areas including anomaly and threat detection, data enrichment, and incident handling. Our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
We’re looking for individuals with a strong background and interest in securing systems and infrastructure at scale, comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces, with a keen eye towards detail, and comfortable learning new technologies. Most importantly, you should be enthusiastic about working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs.
- Act as an incident lead for security incidents and participate in preplanning, tabletops, and postmortem/RCA activities.
- Support other teams in managing security-adjacent and privacy related incidents.
- Participate in on-call duties and rotations, including after-hours/weekends as appropriate.
- Perform malware analysis, host forensics, and network forensics in a predominantly Linux and Mac OSX environment.
- Ensure the security of corporate assets through the use of commercial, open-source, and bespoke software.
- Deploy, fine-tune, and automate detection and response tooling to protect against external and internal threats to Brex.
- Build, maintain, and continuously improve supporting systems such as logging pipelines, threat intelligence integrations, alerting systems, and self-service mechanisms.
- Create runbooks and documentation to improve handling time, ensure consistent response, and share knowledge.
- Maintain awareness of new and emerging security concepts, technologies, and threats.
- Own problems end-to-end, thinking through everything from system design, scalability, operability and ongoing metrics.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
- While not a developer role, the candidate will create scripting and contribute to the development and improvement of tooling - as such coding experience is strongly desired.
What We Value:
- Experience in security monitoring, incident handling, threat intelligence, and digital forensics.
- Brex mostly works in Elixir, Python, and Go, however languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework. The Security team predominantly uses Python, Go, and Bash.
- Familiarity with security challenges, including attacks on large-scale applications, systems and service architectures, and securing employees and data in a rapid development environment.
- Caring about system design and valuing building things correctly from day one, without cutting corners.
- Debugging complex problems across the entire stack.
- Taking pride in working on projects to successful completion, involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Holding yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Actively learning new systems and stitching together different services and processes together.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds (we currently have around 30 nationalities represented, with more than ½ the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
Engineering at Brex:
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, and as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Engineers are expected to understand and have product input, designing systems towards our long-term product vision.
- We'd rather have one strong, well-compensated engineer, instead of having 5 average engineers. Our customers are fine with fewer features, but are not ok with broken features.
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors and managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful.
- We believe in small, accountable and autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve our way of working.
- People have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for what they’re building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future.
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up and help us get to the truth faster.
Does Brex sound like home? We'd love to meet you! Please share with us details of what you've worked on and what matters to you (personally and from a technical standpoint). Don't worry too much about your resumé. Be genuine, not official.
Back to top