Security Engineer, Incident Response
Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board. Building world-class financial services requires world-class security. As a security incident response engineer, you will be safeguarding our data, systems & infrastructure, by proactively detecting malicious attack attempts, containing attacks and handling incidents. You’d also be investing in a lot of automation for proactive detection and be on-call for handling intelligence feeds. Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitions people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
We’re looking for individuals with a strong background and interest in securing systems and infrastructure at scale, comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces, with a keen eye towards detail, and comfortable learning new technologies. Most importantly, you should be enthusiastic about working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs.
- Manage the entire lifecycle of a security incident (detection, communication, recovery, remediations and lessons learned).
- Perform malware analysis, host forensics, and network forensics.
- Build automated capabilities to detect and contain security attacks.
- Deploy, fine-tune, and automate detective and preventive tools.
- Perform Red team exercises.
- Own problems end-to-end, thinking through everything from system design, scalability, operability and ongoing metrics.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the codebases, infrastructure, and processes you will encounter.
What We Value:
- Experience in security monitoring, incident handling, threat intelligence, and digital forensics.
- We work in Elixir and Go, however languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Familiarity with security challenges, attacks on large-scale applications, systems and service architectures.
- Caring about system design and value building things correctly from day one, without cutting corners.
- Debugging complex problems across the entire stack.
- Taking pride in working on projects to successful completion, involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Holding yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Stitching many different services and processes together, even if you have not worked with them before.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds (we currently have around 30 nationalities represented, with more than ½ the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
Engineering at Brex:
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, and as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Engineers are expected to understand and have product input, designing systems towards our long-term product vision
- We'd rather have one strong, well-compensated engineer, instead of having 5 average engineers. Our customers are fine with fewer features, but are not ok with broken features
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors and managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful
- We believe in small, accountable and autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve our way of working
- People have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for what they’re building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up and help us get to the truth faster
Does Brex sound like home? We'd love to meet you! Please share with us details of what you've worked on and what matters to you (personally and from a technical standpoint). Don't worry too much about your resumé. Be genuine, not official.
Back to top