Engineering Manager, Data Platform
Brex is building the new global standard for financial services, starting with corporate cards. We are designing the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board.
The Data Platform team builds the infrastructure powering Brex’s underwriting and fraud models, as well as the tooling we use to make our data accessible to decision-makers through the company. Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds.
We are looking for people with a strong background in either data infrastructure and/or building data systems. You should have some experience or interest in systems architecture. You should be excellent cross-functionally, have a head for strategy and have a history of taking high-visibility projects across the finish line. Most importantly, you should be enthusiastic about working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs.
- Drive and execute the data platform strategy of Brex.
- Build and promote a strong data-informed culture throughout the company.
- Work cross-functionally with data scientists and operations specialists to provide the infrastructure and tools to ship models from inception to production.
- Ensure we strike the right balance between providing access to data to decision-makers across the company while safeguarding our customers’ privacy and security.
- Build a world-class team of data engineers from diverse backgrounds.
- Empower the team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, and simplicity.
What We Value:
- Having a track record of building and leading successful teams in a branch of software engineering, preferably in an area related to data or infrastructure.
- History of delivering high impact projects with stringent product requirements
- Experience working in a high-growth environment, recruiting extraordinary people from different backgrounds.
- A deep sense of ownership of an entire problem-space, from software design to execution and maintenance.
- Ability to flourish with an increased level of autonomy and responsibility.
- Excellent communication and effective teamwork with engineers, product managers, business stakeholders, and finance teams.
- Pride in working on projects to successful completion, involving a wide variety of technologies, systems and modeling techniques.
- Holding yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Thriving in a collaborative environment, filled with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds (we currently have around 30 nationalities represented, with more than ½ the company working in a country different from the one they grew up in).
Data at Brex:
- We work in an environment where it matters to make the right design decisions the first time, and as a result, take on less technical debt than other companies.
- Product is a highly collaborative initiative across multiple teams. Data engineers are expected to understand the business and have input towards our long term vision.
- We believe in two equal track career growths between senior individual contributors and managers. We want people to contribute where they feel most impactful.
- We believe in small, accountable and autonomous teams of amazing people, eager to learn, teach and constantly improve our way of working.
- People have a strong sense of ownership and accountability for what they’re building. What we build today will be the foundation for dozens of other systems in the future.
- We are very frank on discussing technical matters. If one disagrees with how things are being done, we encourage them to speak up and help us get to the truth faster.
Does Brex sound like home? We'd love to meet you! Please share with us details of what you've worked on and what matters to you (personally and from a technical standpoint). Don't worry too much about your resumé. Be genuine, not official.
Back to top