Braintree builds products that make payments easier—so easy that they fade into the background, making entirely new kinds of interactions possible. Interactions like seamlessly paying for your ride share -- or the condo you rented this weekend -- without presenting a card or pressing a button, or buying a lamp on Pinterest...right from Pinterest. The Braintree full-stack payment platform lets companies build their own experiences and then scale their businesses around the globe. We're known for our technology but we're also known for our support, with internal risk and underwriting, account management and technical support teams who ensure a frictionless payments experience.
Acquired by PayPal in 2013, Braintree is now in an even greater position to change the way people pay. Headquartered in Chicago, Braintree has offices in San Francisco, New York, Sydney, London with employees stationed around the world.
We're looking for someone to join our team responsible for underwriting e-commerce merchants. The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of merchant service work experience related to e-commerce underwriting and/or commercial lending. The ability to exercise sound judgment and be resourceful in all things is imperative to success as a Braintree Underwriter.
- Assess business model risk and determine credit exposure risk on new and existing merchants to determine appropriate course of action
- Analyze financial and bank statements to assess credit worthiness
- Prepare persuasive underwriting packages as required
- Assist Account Management and Sales with customer calls requiring explanation of specific internal credit policies and decisions related to those policies
- Monitor and investigate merchants’ credit card processing activities using internal and external Risk monitoring tools
- Answer internal and merchant inquiries regarding risk management issues
- Stay current on merchant industry trends specific to the industries we support
- 2+ years of merchant service work experience related to merchant underwriting and/or commercial lending
- Solid financial statement analysis
- Experience in preparing underwriting packages
- A highly-curious individual who wants to get to the source of anything even the least bit fishy
- A highly analytical team player who loves to evaluate degrees of financial risk
- A top-notch inspector and investigator
- An acute sense of right and wrong with the calculations to back it up
- A candidate secure enough to be schooled in foosball and ping pong on a regular basis
Meet Some of Braintree's Employees
Ben writes the code that builds Braintree's products—collaborating with Executives, Partners, and Developments Team to bridge the gap between all three.
Back to top