Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
The Engineering Team:
Our focus is teaming with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space.
At Braintree, developers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we believe in using the best tool for the job. For example, we’ve written data platforms in Clojure, payment gateways in Java, and contextual commerce in Python. Here’s more:
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department – developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
Observability Team & Role
The Observability team is a platform-focused team responsible for the tools and processes that give Engineering and Operations insight into the health and stability of Braintree’s services. As a senior Observability engineer, you’ll help define the direction of observability across our hybrid data center / cloud-based infrastructure, our many polyglot services, and our global-scale data pipelines.
We understand that observability is more than just monitoring, and we seek to build and maintain an observability ecosystem optimized for business-driven alerting, merchant-focused monitoring and engineer-focused profiling, debugging and inspection. Treating our engineers as our customers is a core tenant for us as we evolve our tooling, and we act as consultants and partners to equip application and infrastructure engineers with the tooling they need to understand the health and stability of their services.
Types of projects we work on:
- Evolving our monitoring and alerting infrastructure to leverage advanced techniques such as anomaly/outlier detection and machine learning
- Overhauling our structured logging infrastructure to handle near-real time, short-term and long-term querying of our terabytes-per-day log ingestion scale
- Building the next generation of our distributed tracing infrastructure in partnership with our Kubernetes, on-premises and cloud infrastructure teams
- Empowering our Technical Support and Operations teams to troubleshoot detailed merchant issues using high-cardinality time-series and event data from our data lake
You’d be a great fit, if:
- You have a ton of interest in and knowledge about a variety of infrastructure and general development topics, technologies, and practices
- You’re familiar with the complexities of managing, monitoring and growing large-scale distributed infrastructure and application environments
- You have worked on observability or monitoring projects before, or have a strong interest in that area
- You are a deliberate and effective communicator, both with engineers and with customers
- You like thinking about how to make life better for other engineers
- You’re willing to problem-solve as a team, with our engineering stakeholders, and as an organization with our customers
- You enjoy acting as a mentor and helping to grow the skills of those around you
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks.
Meet Some of Braintree's Employees
Jack L.Software Engineer
Jack works with all of the data that Braintree stores. He uses his engineering skills to collect, sort, analyze, and deliver data and analyses—for both internal use and for Braintree's clientele.
Back to top