- Chicago, IL
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
The Engineering Team:
Our focus is teaming with smart engineers who are passionate about their craft and excited to build software for our unique solutions in the space.
At Braintree, developers have the chance to work on various teams and stacks. Although most of our software is written in Ruby, we believe in using the best tool for the job. For example, we’ve written data platforms in Clojure, payment gateways in Java, and contextual commerce in Python. Here’s more:
- Communication is key to our process, and we don't want to hinder it with walls. Many teams program in pairs, which means you always have another set of eyes to help you.
- We practice test-driven development and believe that it helps us deliver simple solutions focused on real customer needs. We have no QA department -- developers test, release and monitor their own code.
- We keep the team in sync with daily stand-ups and have regular retrospectives to discuss things that are going well and opportunities for improvements.
- We value unique perspectives brought by diverse backgrounds and experiences. A broad range of ideas and perspectives help us to create the best possible product.
As an Engineering Manager, you will work closely with technical leads and product managers to lead a team delivering the best solutions for our customers. You will develop a deep understanding of the people, technologies, and practices of your team, and apply your expertise to planning, prioritization, and execution. You will support the self-development and career growth of individuals, as well as foster a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative environment in which people do their best work.
- Own the efficiency, growth, and delivery of a team, making sure the team is as productive as possible to complete short term and long term objectives.
- Manage the career path and goals of your team members, conducting regular 1-on-1s and giving feedback.
- Own and continuously refine the processes and communication strategies your team uses to build and support products.
- Work with a Product Manager and Tech Lead to ensure that the roadmap is realistic and understood.
- Work with your manager to turn the roadmap into staffing needs and a hiring strategy.
- Build a deep understanding of how our products work and are built. Though you will not be expected to regularly code, you will need to fully grasp code and architecture concerns.
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Product conferences: we support our team members participating in the development community and help cover travel and attendance costs for product conferences
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks
Back to top