Director of Engineering - Merchant Experience
Braintree lets you move money from one place to another safely and securely. Every time you pay for an Uber ride, book a stay through Airbnb, or pay with PayPal when you check out online, you’re probably using our product. It sounds complex (and it is), but we make it so simple you can’t tell we’re there.
We solve world-scale problems and provide opportunities to match. We build diverse teams that recognize our strengths and allow us to work on our weaknesses. You bring skills and a relentless focus on the customer, and we'll provide the support you need to do the best work of your life.
Braintree's Merchant Experience product organization provides best-in-class capabilities and interactions across all merchant touchpoints, from onboarding and configuration to reporting and dispute resolution. These teams design, build, and perfect self-service interfaces for merchants, and also collaborate closely with our operational teams on tooling and automation to scale our white glove service.
As the Director of Engineering for Merchant Experience, you will drive execution and delivery across the product teams that onboard and service merchants. You will help us hire diverse and talented people, support the self-development and career growth of team members, and foster an inclusive and collaborative environment in which people do their best work. You will need proficiency and deftness in tackling technical, organizational, and human challenges to grow strong teams that deliver complex payment products.
Had you been with us in the last month, you would have:
- Articulated a vision and strategy for your organization.
- Pulled together an initiative team chartered with an ambitious project that touches multiple existing services.
- Regularly checked in with your tech leads, team managers, and the individual contributors across your organization.
- Closely collaborated with product managers to create and update roadmaps.
- Read and commented on pull requests or technical proposals.
- Worked with a small team of motivated engineers to revise hiring practices.
- Whiteboarded a new service with a team technical lead.
- Graciously received constructive feedback from a colleague about an improvement opportunity for you and/or your teams.
- Responded to changing requirements by adjusting the expectations and plans for one of your organization's teams.
- Researched a new solution to assess feasibility for one of your teams.
- Attended an Open Dev demo session to learn from colleagues across engineering teams.
- Jumped on calls with key customers to understand their strategic plans and technical challenges.
- Coached tech leads, managers, engineers, and other team members through challenges and towards new opportunities for career growth.
What we look for in you:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Deep curiosity about people and systems.
- Empathy and emotional intelligence.
- Knack for forming motivated teams of smart, creative people.
- Significant experience writing high quality production software.
- Experience leading a team of managers and technical leads.
- Conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to deliver constructive feedback that leads to meaningful changes and growth.
- Analytical skills for creating and interpreting metrics.
- Track record of delivering technical products.
- Open dev days: every two weeks we spend a day working on projects that interest us and help us expand our skills and knowledge
- Participation in the technology community: we help cover travel and attendance costs for conferences, and we offer opportunities and tools for speaking.
- Check out our Careers page for more company perks.
Meet Some of Braintree's Employees
Lisa consults with the merchants on the Braintree platform and helps them with all of their needs—whether it’s learning how to accept a credit card or how to analyze the data that comes out of the process.
Back to top