Director Issuer Business Development
Braintree's class-leading technology does for payments what the smart phone did for cell phones. The world of payments is changing and the only way to stay ahead of the game is to embrace the best in new payments technologies, opening new revenue streams and enabling new partnerships. In the past, payments were simply a way to move money from A to B. Today, merchants can take advantage of Braintree's payments technology to not just collect payments, but to also increase their sales, streamline operations and shed technical debt.
Acquired by PayPal in 2013, Braintree is now in an even greater position to change the way people pay. Headquartered in Chicago, Braintree has offices in San Francisco, New York, Austin, Sydney, London, Singapore as well as employees spread around the world in other locations.
Director Issuer Business Development
The Director Issuer Business Development is responsible for growing and expanding our relationships with card issuers and other financial institutions around the world. The role is responsible for developing strategies to enhance performance for our merchants through these relationships as well as finding innovative ways to establish and launch new offerings for our customer base together with these partners. In addition, this leader will form a key part of the broader Business Development and Strategy Team’s iniatives for Braintree and the larger PayPal group.
- Develop relationship with top card issuers around the world (both current PayPal partners and new) to improve our current authorization rates for our merchant base and drive other optimization efforts where it make sense.
- Together with PayPal’s growing list of global issuer relationship and beyond, build unique offerings for our merchants and their customer base.
- Build broad group strategy, identify key partnerships and establish relationships and initiatives for each partner while tracking strong commercial and operational performance.
- Lead initiatives with our Product Organization to maximize the relationships and performance from these issuer agreements through product enhancements as relevant.
- Collaborate with our Merchant Success team to build out merchant facing data initiatives with particular focus on actionable insight
- Drive a global ‘narrative’ around these BD efforts for the broader organization together with Product Marketing
- Drive execution and go to market for these initiatives through the global Sales and Account Management organization.
- Be responsible for thought leadership initiatives for these business development efforts; media, blogs, conference presentations as well as key customer interactions.
- Support Strategic initiatives to grow Braintree and PayPal’s merchant facing offerings.
- Where possible, lend expertise and experience around new market launches and general Go To Market efforts.
- From a start of being the first person to drive this, build a scalable operation to support global initiatives when and as relevant.
- Ability to question, challenge and extract ideas that may be transformational
- Track record of building an inclusive, innovation-minded culture at scale
- Demonstrated sustainable and repeatable strong results using initiative & foresight
- Proven experience creating a vision and passion to achieve world-class performance
- Ability to develop and manage multiple initiatives/projects independently and work in a fast-paced environment with minimum supervision required
- Ability to quickly adapt to rapidly changing environments while serving as a steady and trusting point of continuity for their areas of responsibilities
- Ability to use and analyze complex data streams to understand trends and shape strategy decisions
- Ecommerce, payment processing, banking industry and financial institution experience required.
- 15+ years of business experience with leadership roals in business development, product or project management in client facing roles.
- 10+ direct business development experience including, identifying, selling, closing and managing large scale partnership relationships.
- Must have worked in both a start up and larger organization
- Strong understanding of card processing in general and card issuing specifically
- Must show proven people management skills (minimum 5 years)
- Extensive experience from large scale customer presentations/project engagement, conference presentations and media interviews.
- Strong PC applications skills including Keynote/PowerPoint, Excel and related business tools
- Exceptional communicator and influencer, cross-functional leader
- Proven collaborative working style amongst diverse functions, regions and cultures
- Experience from living, studing or working in multiple countries.
- Experience managing global teams
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree required
- MBA or equivalent experience prefered
- Ability to travel up to 50-60%
Back to top