SWAT's mission in life is to ensure the production stability of our product from an engineering perspective. Put simply, we, as software engineers, are "guardians of production stability". One of the teams on SWAT, SWAT Patrol, focuses on working with Customer Success to understand customer-reported issues across our entire web-based product, while working with the rest of Engineering to find solutions.
The manager of the SWAT Patrol team will become a hands-on authority in production triage, gain broad knowledge across the Box codebase, work with all the groups within Engineering, many groups outside of Engineering (e.g. Customer Success, Product), learn how to identify "classes of bugs", and solve challenging issues via software development. Most importantly, you will build, develop, and lead a team of engineers to do all of the above within Box's ever growing technical and customer base. Doesn't this sound challenging and exciting? We hope that it does.
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. To do this, we maintain a robust and stable system at scale. If something unexpected happens, we need to understand why and resolve quickly with quality, as well as communicate effectively. This is the value that we as SWAT Patrol bring to Box.
Why you need Box
SWAT Patrol affords you an excellent opportunity to learn and grow across multiple dimensions. As a member of SWAT Patrol, you will have the opportunity to become a generalist of Box's products and technology. You will also provide the vision and leadership required to evolve the team and its mission as Box scales, as well as ensure all relevant parties are informed and updated, including senior leadership.
Who you are
- A strong people manager with experience as a manager or as a technical lead.
- A strong problem solver that can solve problems for which you have no idea how to solve.
- You have a passion for learning and teaching. This is vital for growth in such a broad and dynamic role.
- A strong verbal and written communicator.
- Able to work outside, sometimes far outside, of your comfort zone.
- Experience building web-based applications.
- Solid database experience (MySQL).
- Deep understanding of web technologies (Apache, HTTP, REST, Ajax).
- Experience working in a Unix environment.
- Experience with scalable, enterprise grade systems.