Our mission is to power Box by building performant, scalable and highly-available platforms for storing and accessing metadata. Are you excited at the thought of scaling a relational data system to tens of millions of queries per minute? How about building out a large-scale flexible-schema data-store capable of performant, robust querying? Box is going through rapid growth. This means more data to store, more queries to serve, more developers and services to support.
We're a small group of teams dedicated to building out our database infrastructure - whether for powering our core application datastore, our caching infrastructure, our system for storing customer defined metadata, and more. We're already operating at large scale, storing data for tens of thousands of enterprises, tens of millions of users, billions of instances of custom metadata, and tens of billions of files. To keep up with this scale, we've built a sophisticated sharded infrastructure on top of MySQL, a service for automatically detecting and remediating database outages, a cluster management system for memcache, and more. If these sound like exciting challenges to you, come join us!
Why the team needs you
Although we've already been hard at work building systems that can handle our growing scale, many of our big challenges are still ahead of us. We're looking for someone with deep expertise and passion for distributed data systems, that can help craft our future vision and strategy, enabling us to build a robust data tier capable of supporting multiple services across a variety of use-cases, and catering to both internal and external developers. You could help us figure out how provide support for critical capabilities like automated disaster recovery, geo-distribution of data, and more.
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. As we rapidly build out new capabilities and support bigger and more complex businesses, we need a robust data platform that's up for the challenge. That's where you come in.
Why you need Box
You're going to have the unique opportunity to architect, build and scale multiple distributed web-scale database systems. You will work closely database infrastructure team as well as other tech leads and architects across Box Engineering to define and execute on an exciting high-leverage vision for Database Infrastructure at Box, enabling us to support our internal and external developers to build the future of our platform for content management and collaboration in the cloud.
What you'll be responsible for
- You'll make key technical implementation decisions and help guide engineering vision at Box
- You'll take a key role in architecting our next generation database platform
- You'll drive design and implementation of key data services
- You'll collaborate with development teams at Box to ensure they're making smart data-store choices
- You'll coach and mentor other engineers and teams
- You'll develop high quality code
Who you are
- You have demonstrated experience in architecting and building large scale highly-available distributed data systems
- You're able to deal with ambiguity and drive projects independently
- You thrive in a fast paced and highly collaborative environment.
- Bonus points if you have experience leveraging MySQL, Memcache, Redis, HBase, Mongo or other open source database technologies at scale
- Bonus points if you've developed in Java and/or Scala in a production environment
- You are passionate about solving hard problems and building robust distributed systems
- You act like an owner and strive to do work you're proud of, both technically and in your team interactions
- You have 8+ years of experience