SWAT's mission in life is to ensure the production stability of our product from an engineering perspective. Put simply, we, as software engineers, are "guardians of production stability". As a member of SWAT, you will become an authority in production triage, gain broad knowledge across the Box codebase, work with all the groups within Engineering, many groups outside of Engineering (e.g. Customer Success, Product, Sales), learn how to identify "classes of bugs", and solve challenging issues via software development. SWAT affords you an excellent opportunity to learn and grow as a well-rounded engineer.
There are two main functions within SWAT: SWAT Patrol and Production Tools. SWAT Patrol involves working with Customer Success to understand customer-reported issues across our entire web-based product, while working with the rest of Engineering to find solutions. A responsibility of SWAT Patrol is SWAT 911, a 24/7 oncall rotation providing engineering support for emergent, high priority issues. Production Tools consists of development work on frameworks, endpoints, and tools. Our tools are used throughout Box in orgs such as Customer Success, Legal, and Compliance. As such, UX and scalability are very important parts of the equation. We also build tools to help with investigations on SWAT Patrol. In addition, we provide release automation support for our Webapp releases.
Does this sound like fun? Maybe a little overwhelming? Whether you love being focused, phrenetic, or somewhere in between, there is something for everyone. You will get the opportunity to experience it all!
- Develop new and evolve existing web-based production tools for use throughout the company.
- Validate, verify, and understand customer-reported and customer-impacting issues.
- Identify, investigate and solve deep, gnarly issues throughout our production environment.
- Active member of weekly oncall rotation.
Qualifications (the more you have, the better!):
- Minimum 5 years of applicable experience.
- Strong problem solver. More specifically, you are able to solve problems for which you have no idea how to solve.
- Passion for learning. This is vital for growth in such a broad and dynamic role.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Adept at working outside, sometimes far outside, of your comfort zone.
- Experience building web-based applications. Bonus points if you have a deep focus on UX.
- Solid database experience (MySQL).
- Deep understanding of web technologies (Apache, HTTP, REST, Ajax).
- Experience working in a Unix environment.
- Experience with scalable, enterprise grade systems.
About Box: Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE:BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest ambitions. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps business of all sizes in every industry securely access and manage their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit www.box.com.