Sr Engineering Manager - Data Platform
At Box, we strive to foster a culture of transparency and inclusiveness, we aim to execute quickly, and we are committed to doing the right thing for our end users. We value leaders who are life-long learners, passionate about continuous improvement for themselves, their teams, and their products.
The data platform team's mission is to enable product innovation by making it really easy for Box developers to build data applications. A lot of the core Box products/features (Box Drive, Real-time notifications etc.) and backend services (Search indexing, Conversion etc.) are powered by our data infrastructure. We handle petabyte scale data and process millions of messages per second.
Our data platform components include
- The messaging layer (pub/sub)
- Async job processing
- Real-time stream compute
- Offline data processing
- Events index
- Data access services
Why Box needs you
As Box is doubling down on our cloud content management strategy by building intelligent business processes and digital experiences, our team will be playing a crucial role in enabling this vision. Scaling our data platform to support the massive user growth and aligning our long-term strategy with the Box's business strategy of using public cloud will be the other main focus areas for the next year.
As the leader of this team, you will be responsible for setting up this strategy and the future direction of the team and in building alignment with the broader engineering and product teams. You will hire more epic engineers and will lead a team of highly collaborative and skilled engineers. You will also work closely with other engineering leaders, product managers and other partners to help realize our ambitious goals.
Your Roadmap at Box
Within 6 months, you'll...
- Develop a deep understanding of Box's long-term business goals and tie in your teams' objectives & key results
- Be a trusted and influential voice beyond the team, communicating effectively with peer engineering groups as well as cross-functional peers in Product and Platform teams.
- Develop an ambitious technical roadmap for your teams and align them with your peer engineering teams
Within 12 months, you'll...
- Make significant contributions to Engineering across Box by advancing our major business and technical goals
- Make significant strides toward the next step in your career and your team members' careers
- Wonder why you didn't join Box much earlier?
Who you are
- Individual with high integrity, team-focused approach with collaboration skills to build tight-knit relationships across Box
- Experience with leading data infrastructure teams
- Expertise in architecting messaging systems, distributed data stores and NoSQL technologies
- Familiarity with one of the public clouds - AWS, GCP, Azure.
- Extraordinary organizational and analytical skills
- Responsive person with a strong bias for action
- Entrepreneurial spirit and a thirst for learning
- 5+ years of management experience
Who we are
- Messaging architecture talk at @Scale conference (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNOhEjRrtu8)
- Tech blog (http://tech.blog.box.com/)
- Open source projects (http://opensource.box.com/)
- Developer Platform(https://developers.box.com/)
Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE:BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest dreams. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps business of all sizes in every industry securely access and administer their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit www.box.com.
U.S. Equal Opportunity Employment Information (Completion is voluntary)
Individuals seeking employment at Box are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Meet Some of Box's Employees
Outbound Business Representative
Ryan works with federal, state, and local government agencies to help them integrate Box’s secure storage system so that they can more efficiently achieve their goals.
Back to top