Director, Problem Management
Today, Box helps millions of customers worldwide untether from their desks and share content in the cloud. People can now work anywhere, on any device and collaborate across the globe with complete ease and security. It’s a time of incredible growth. Our search for a Director, Problem Management is key to our scalability and success.
Box provides and operates a multi-tenant, hybrid cloud cloud content management platform. Scaling the operation brings complexity; complexity with micro-services on various platforms needs to be appropriately managed and understood so that making changes to services and components don't result in incidents.
The Director of Problem Management will build a Problem/Service Management function adhering to ITSM/ITIL framework from the ground up. The problem/service management group will drive excellence and a higher degree of reliability to Box’s products and services; the same products and services that are embedded and critical to our customers and are depended on to run their business operations. The Director’s mandate is to ensure that Box has an unrivaled problem/services management team and process.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Service Management Engineering, this Director’s primary responsibility is to lead a team of problem managers to track problems within our infrastructure technology and products, and identify areas of opportunity to improve the quality of product and service by the timely identification incidents and closure of problems, timely analyzing root causes and act to prevent recurrence by utilizing ITIL practices.
Technical Experiences & Requirements:
- A track record of building teams and participation in mature problem management operations at scale having built structural solutions, frameworks and processes for the problem management function.
- Experience partnering with Dev, Ops, Security, Legal, Compliance stakeholders.
- Aptitude for solving complex, ambiguous company-level problems effectively with ability to develop strategy and influence and guide execution across an engineering organization.
- Collaborated across Engineering (Dev and Ops) to set the standards, best practices and patterns for problem/service management.
- Coordinate, standardize, and lead all ITIL problem management activities ensuring root cause and prevention is identified.
- Proactively detect and prevent future problems/incidents and initiate the problem management process to allow quicker diagnosis and resolution.
- Prepare statistics, KPI and trend reports for use in the problem management process. Identify problems through the review and focus on optimizing processes.
- Collaborate with subject matter experts to refine operating processes and procedures to deliver and restore service more efficiently.
- Coordinate, convene and facilitate major incident and problem review meetings.
- Ensure the problems progress through the Problem Management process in a timely and prioritized fashion.
- Create and deliver external content regarding service disruptions.
- Ensure that the problem management information reflects accurate errors and is complete.
- Develop trend analysis and prepare service improvement plans to address identified gaps.
- Ensure recurring incident resolution is addressed with urgency.
- Manage and maintain information stored in the problem database.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of product delivery and operations.
Qualifications & Education:
- Undergraduate degree, required; advanced degree, preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive responsibility in infrastructure and technology with 5 years of management experience.
- ITIL certified required.
Attributes & Leadership Qualities:
- Recruit, manage, train, and mentor senior staff and adhere to professional practice requirements.
- Driving an organization that aligns to business objectives, communicate this vision to executive management and inspire team members to execute on that vision.
- Ability to effectively operate with high energy and flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly-evolving team environment.
- Proven track record of working collaboratively to improve the customer’s experience.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationships with customers, partners, and developers across the business at all levels.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills while working with diverse audiences including highly technical IT professionals, developers, and architects.
- Able to manage relationships with peers and managers as it relates to support and services.
- Ability to navigate complexity and create collaborative, cross-functional solutions.
- Strong communication, presentation, and relationship management skills.
- Able to translate complex issues in an understandable, organized way.
- Great listening skills.
- Outstanding communications skills.
- Operates with integrity.
To learn more about Box, visit: https://www.box.com
Meet Some of Box's Employees
Outbound Business Representative
Ryan works with federal, state, and local government agencies to help them integrate Box’s secure storage system so that they can more efficiently achieve their goals.
Back to top